The hazardous locations industry is challenged to design and produce safe, reliable, energy-efficient and innovative products to be installed in potentially explosive atmospheres for the oil and gas, petrochemical, pharmaceutical, food, mining and transportation industries. In this competitive market, global expansion complicates this daunting task by requiring manufacturers to not only identify and understand global certification requirements but also to apply them to their innovations. To compete in today’s modern world, manufacturers need to innovate safely, mitigate risks, and access global markets. We can help in this journey as a leader in global hazardous locations and explosion protection certification, testing, inspection, and research.
Our comprehensive range of global HazLoc services includes:
- Equipment testing and certification, covering a range of assessment needs from initial design reviews to full certifications.
- NEW: Plant oil extraction equipment, including extractors, prefabricated booths/pods, preparatory equipment and post-processing equipment. This equipment can be for installation in an unclassified area, or for installation in or involving Class I, Division 1 or Class I, Division 2 hazardous (classified) locations, depending on the product technology and intended use.
- Equipment repair facility service certifications, including the International Electrotechnical Commission Explosive (IECEx) and ATEX Certified Service Facility Scheme, the UL and c-UL Mark HazLoc motor rebuilder program, and other UL Mark repair facility service options.
- Field evaluations and investigations, including IECEx and ATEX Unit Verifications and North American limited production certification performed on-site at a customer facility or in the field.
- Data acceptance programs, enabling customers to utilize test data from their own or other test facilities for UL safety certifications.
Globally, UL maintains the following accreditations and approvals:
- Ex Notified Body (ExNB) under the European Union ATEX Directive
- Certification Organization (CO) under the Brazilian National Institute of Metrology, Standardization and Industrial Quality (INMETRO) regulations
- Ex Certification Body (ExCB) and Ex Testing Laboratory (ExTL) under the IECEx System
- U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL)
- U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) Accepted Laboratory
- Canadian Accredited Certification Body (ACB)
- Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) Part 6 Independent Laboratory
Understanding that these accreditations and approvals cannot address all market needs, we are also expanding relationships with other hazardous locations testing and certification organizations throughout Asia, Australia, the Commonwealth of Independent States, Europe and Latin America. This combination of global hazardous locations engineering staff, laboratories and accreditations allows us to offer integrated test plans to assess and certify products to meet requirements for multiple countries concurrently under the Division and Zone classification systems.
We are one of the top issuers of global ATEX and IECEx certifications. This supports acceptance of your UL-issued certificates, test reports and quality audits for local country marks around the globe.
These services, together with our qualified HazLoc engineering staff and test facilities around the world, can provide local service in a company’s own time zone and language for faster speed to market.
Our HazLoc engineers can help customers demonstrate to the local jurisdictional authorities that products and services meet public and proprietary standards and specifications, government regulations and consumer expectations.
We maintain a highly trained, local engineering staff with decades of hazardous locations experience across 12 countries on four continents, including:
- Asia: China, India, Japan, Korea, Singapore and Taiwan
- Europe: Denmark, Germany and the United Kingdom
- South America: Brazil
- North America: Canada and the United States
Streamline your testing and certification needs with state-of-the-art hazardous locations laboratory testing facilities available locally in Asia (Taiwan), Europe (Denmark) and North America (U.S.).
Areas of expertise
UL provides testing and certification services for the following HazLoc product categories:
- Gas detectors
- Industrial and process controls
- Intrinsic safety
- Plant oil extraction equipment
- Programmable logic controllers
- Signaling equipment
- Wearable technologies
- Wireless communication
We drive global research and standards to continually advance and meet ever-evolving product safety, performance and interoperability needs. Our global network of technical experts and state-of-the-art facilities, along with our long-standing relationships with regulatory authorities, partner laboratories and industry technical leaders, can help manufacturers gain the compliance credentials they need to compete in a more complex global supply chain. Leverage our global brand acceptance and trust to add value to your innovations.
Our global family of certification staff can help save you time and money with a single, local point of contact for your certification needs.
Knowledge and speed
We have technical expertise versed in all protection methods with comprehensive industry knowledge that translates into actionable business efficiencies for our customers to speed time to market. Engineers perform Quality Audits bringing a higher level of technical competency to the audits. With a U.S. based certification officer (CO) on staff, certification time is reduced.
Global market access
Leverage our active participation and leadership in the global standards writing process. You can benefit with faster time to a global marketplace with the UL certification process, not only do we understand the requirements — we helped develop them. In fact, we participate in more than 50 Standards writing committees, such as: TC31 (IECEx), Standards Technical Panels (STPs) (North America), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), American Petroleum Institute (API), and Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) and Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) committees. UL can also help streamline the certification of custom-built Hazardous Location (HazLoc) equipment, including control panels, for global market access by including UL, C-UL, ATEX and IECEx certifications.
Gallery of HazLoc lab
Download our brochures
Non-Electrical Equipment for Use in Hazardous Location – An Introduction
New Standards have been published recently for non-electrical equipment for use in potentially explosive atmospheres.