UL personnel certification verifies that an individual possesses the skills and knowledge required for a specific field of endeavor. Backed by more than a century of safety science expertise, our personnel certification programs provide a benchmark of professional excellence.
Our personnel certification helps to empower practitioners with the real-world qualifications needed to perform their work safely and effectively, based on an industry accepted and standardized set of skills that companies and consumers can trust.
The individual and business benefits of certification include a provable demonstration of particular knowledge and skills, professional recognition, and improved credibility and marketability.
Certification demonstrates that an individual possesses a solid foundation of skill and knowledge in a specific field of endeavor.
The individual benefits of certification include:
- Specialized knowledge and skills
- Personal accomplishment
- Professional recognition
- Credibility and marketability
Personnel certification indicates that individuals have the knowledge and skills needed to perform their work efficiently and proficiently. Certification is earned through completion of a professional training program, demonstrated work experience, proficiency evaluations or written examinations. To help ensure skills remain current, recertification is required at defined intervals.
Available personnel certifications
Each UL personnel certification scheme is developed and maintained by a committee of industry experts who have identified and documented the critical knowledge and skills required to perform that occupation.
- UL Certified Functional Safety – The UL Certified Functional Safety Certification Program is designed to provide individuals an opportunity to set themselves apart with a credential focused on the critical knowledge and skills in the area of functional safety. Individuals certified in this area possess demonstrated knowledge of industry practices as evidenced by the completion of several competencies.
Certifications levels are:
- UL Certified Functional Safety Professional (UL-CFSP)
- UL Certified Functional Safety eXpert (UL-CFSX)
Current certifications exist within general automotive, semiconductor, autonomous vehicles, machinery, industrial automation, cybersecurity, and high tech. These include coverage for ISO 26262, ISO 21448, IEC 61508, ISO 13849, UL/IEC 60730, UL 1998, UL 991, SAE 3061, ISO 21434, IEC 62443, SAE 3016 and UL 4600.
Our personnel certification programs can be found on our Knowledge Solutions Training Center. See also our training partner: kVA by UL.
UL Certified functional safety professional and expert (automotive) list – This list of UL Certified functional safety professionals and experts have met all requirements in the indicated functional safety program to be recognized and credentialed as UL certified individuals.
- UL Lightning Protection Professional Certifications – The UL Lightning Protection Professional Certifications are designed to provide individuals an opportunity to distinguish themselves with a credential focused on the critical knowledge and skills of the lightning protection industry. The program provides two paths toward certification:
- UL Lightning Protection Journeyman Certification (LPJC)
- The UL Lightning Protection Journeyman Certification covers requirements for ordinary structures from UL 96A and NFPA 780.
- UL Lightning Protection Master Certification (LPMC)
- The UL Lightning Protection Master Certification covers additional requirements for structures such as those housing or storing flammable liquids or gases and explosives as defined in NFPA 780, along with information found in the Annexes.
- UL Lightning Protection Journeyman Certification (LPJC)
- Find a Certified UL Lightning Protection Professional – Candidates who successfully complete the UL LPJC or UL LPMC receive a certificate that is valid for three years. In addition, each individual’s name is included in UL’s website listing of industry professionals who have achieved this credential. These UL Certified lightning protection professionals possess the necessary competencies to perform end-to-end installation of residential, commercial and military lightning protection systems in accordance with the requirements in UL 96A and NFPA 780.
- UL's PV system installer certification program – The UL Certified photovoltaic (PV) system installer certification program is designed to offer individuals an opportunity to differentiate themselves with a credential focused on the critical knowledge and skills of the occupation. Open to qualified electricians, the goal of the PV system installer certification is to improve the safety and performance of PV systems through a more qualified workforce.
- UL Certified PV installers list – This list of UL Certified PV installers possesses the necessary competencies to perform end-to-end installation of residential and/or commercial photovoltaic PV systems.
- Certified risk professional (CRP) – property certificate program The UL Certified risk professional – property certificate program allows participants the opportunity to learn how to recognize and evaluate property related risks and is recommended for people who have three to five years of experience in the industry.
- UL Certified risk professional (CRP) – property certified list
- Hazardous locations personnel competency – It is critical that personnel working in areas involving explosive atmospheres (Ex) have the knowledge and competency necessary to properly and safely perform activities, such as classification, design, installation, maintenance, inspection and repair, in accordance with the applicable International Electrotechnical Commission Explosive (IECEx) standards. The IECEx Scheme for Certification of Personnel Competence (CoPC) for Explosive Atmospheres provides global industries with a single system for the assessment and qualification of persons to efficiently and safely carry out activities in hazardous areas or areas associated with them.
- Knowledge Solutions