Comprehensive Compliance Solutions for Robotics Equipment
Robot safety testing and certification
We are one of the world’s largest certifiers of industrial robot safety and have been evaluating robotic applications since their early introduction on factory floors. As industrial robotics continue to gain popularity on a global scale, we’ll continue to help ensure that they meet the highest standards for safety, reliability and performance.
As advancements in robotic technology have drastically shifted in the last few decades, our mission has become even more important. Unlike the caged and confined applications of their predecessors, many industrial robots these days are interacting side-by-side with personnel and end-users.
UL Solutions services for robot safety systems offer a unique range of benefits that add value to your product, your brand and your company, including:
- The UL Mark is a well-recognized global symbol of safety and boosts trust and confidence in your product. Our 30 years of experience in robot safety certification and our participation in the Robotics Industries Association (RIA) –specifically RIA certification to R15.06–gives us a unique understanding of what is required, as does our longstanding relationship with Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJs).
- The UL Solutions robotics equipment service spectrum ranges from advisory services and testing to inspection and certification. We can tailor a solution that fits your needs.
- For over 120 years, expert UL Solutions engineers have delivered valuable insight into the current landscape and future of technology, regulations and market trends.
- By working with the same engineer throughout the entire certification process, you gain peace of mind that comes from knowing that your products, tests and objectives are in the hands of an expert who knows you well.
- Consolidating all your product testing and certification needs with a single global organization creates significant efficiencies and a greater return on your robot compliance investment. UL Solutions can provide you with global coverage from EMC or fire and shock testing to performance verification.
We offer pre-certification testing and bundled certifications to help expand your market presence while lowering your costs.
Since 1894, our engineers have delivered valuable insight into the current and future landscape of technology, regulations and market trends. We actively participate in the RIA — specifically RIA R15.06 — and we have a long-standing relationship with authorities having jurisdiction (AHJs), giving us a unique understanding of what is required in regards to testing and certification.
Consolidating all of your certification needs with a single organization that understands the robotics industry ensures that you’ll make the most of your time with us. We offer precertification testing and bundled certifications to help expand your market presence while lowering your costs. That’s how we help you achieve what’s possible, and that’s what sets us apart.
UL Solutions services for robot safety testing and certification
We provide testing and certification services for the following robotic equipment and systems:
- Automated mobile platforms (AMPs)
- Axis limiting and control devices
- Collaborative robots (Cobots)
- Delta/PKR robots
- Grippers/end effectors
- Linear robots
- Multiaxis articulated robots
- Pendants (including wireless types)
- Personal care robots
- Storage and retrieval systems
- Welding equipment
We have a team of machinery and functional safety experts with a broad range of experience in consumer and industrial applications, including automotive, medical, personal care, pharmaceutical, agriculture and mining. They offer robotics equipment services ranging from advisory and testing services to inspection and certification. By customizing these offerings, we can tailor a solution that fits your specific needs.
Ultimately, our goal is to make sure that your machines and systems perform in the way that you expect them to. We’ll do that by confirming robot compliance to the following safety considerations and international regulations:
- UL 3100, Outline of Investigation for Automated Mobile Platforms (AMPs)
- American National Standards Institutes (ANSI)/UL 1740, Standard for Robots and Robotic Equipment
- ANSI/Robotic Industries Association (RIA) R15.06
- CAN/Canadian Standards Association (CSA) Z434
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 10218
- ISO 13482
- International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) 61508
- IEC 62061
Consumer Technology Overview Brochure