We offer a CB Test Report/Certificate to IEC 60950 Annex CC Test Plan 2 and IEC 62368 Ed.2 Annex G.9 for solid-state overcurrent protectors. This streamlined certification process and harmonized test plan for the applicable standards – UL 2367/IEC 60950/IEC 62368 Ed.2 and Ed.3 – helps saves time and money through a well-proven global certification program. Additionally, end-product manufacturers can streamline certification by selecting components that are already UL certified.
The role of overcurrent protection devices (OCPDs)
Solid-state overcurrent protectors encompass products that are generally used to provide supplementary protection for the load-side of an isolating transformer, power supply or battery. These low-voltage protectors are rated for voltage range, maximum continuous current, protective current and suitability for use in telecommunications network connections.
These protectors are used in common consumer devices such as computer systems as well as in industry related applications – they are not stand-alone devices and the end product must be evaluated and certified for safety. These devices are provided with no means for manual operation or reset.
Devices can be rated to a maximum current limit of 5A, with a maximum input voltage of 30VAC, 60VDC. These protectors are either integrated circuits, intended to be mounted to a printed wiring board or a component/modular type device.
Solid-state manufacturers develop these protectors for use in the end-use, consumer electronic-type devices.
Solid-state overcurrent protection device services
We provide the following services for solid-state protectors:
- U.S. – UL 2367, UL Mark Recognition
- International – IEC 60950 (Annex CC) and IEC 62368-1 (Annex G.9), CB Certification and Test Certificate
IEC 62368 and other related standards
- IEC 62368-1:2018 (Edition 3) has been published and has been adopted by Canada and the U.S. as of December 2019 (CSA/UL 62368-1), and by Europe (EN IEC 62368-1:2020) as of March 2020.
- The current editions of CSA/UL 62368-1 (Ed. No. 3) and EN IEC 62368-1:2020 do not have any national differences that affect solid-state overcurrent protectors.
- IEC 62368-1 Edition No. 2 will remain available for evaluation and continues to be used by various countries until the full global transition to Edition No. 3 (January 2023 in Europe and the U.S.), at which time Edition No. 2 will be phased out and fully replaced by Edition No. 3. Until then, Edition Nos. 2 and 3 are concurrently available for certification.
Area of expertise
We provide services for the following types of solid-state protectors:
- Special purpose solid-state overcurrent protectors
- Low-voltage overcurrent protectors