Congressmen Frank Pallone and Leonard Lance have introduced a discussion draft focused on cosmetic product regulations.
The draft discussion aims to strengthen the authority of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on cosmetic products specific to testing and labeling requirements.
Specifically, these are the major tasks to be given to the FDA:
- Mandatory recall authority
- Authority to collect data and information on cosmetic ingredients
- Authority to mandate facilities to be registered
- Mandate reporting to FDA for cosmetic adverse events and complaints
- Mandate warnings on cosmetic products not appropriate for all
- Ensure that all manufacturers are complaint with good manufacturing practices
This draft discussion has not been proposed to Congress yet.