Comprehensive compliance solutions for gas appliances
Gas appliance manufacturers must maintain quality while reducing cost and time to market. Standards and regulations evolve quickly, and noncompliance can result in delays, product recalls and potential safety risks.
Meeting consumers’ demands for appliance features, such as integrated electric and gas, can complicate compliance challenges, requiring multiple vendors’ services.
UL can help. We offer a wide array of advisory, testing and certification services for combustion appliances and components such as:
- Food service equipment
- Gas heaters
- Household/domestic cooking
- Infrared patio heaters
- Outdoor decorative gas appliances
UL combustion testing, evaluation and certification solutions for gas appliances
Our safety science leadership, state-of-the-art laboratories and expertise provide you with a complete solution for commercial and consumer gas appliances that require certification to enter key markets around the world.
You can select individual services to meet your business strategy and target markets, or bundle them to realize potential cost and time savings by reducing redundant testing. If applicable, we can conduct testing at your facility. We can test gas appliance components such as pipes and fittings, valves, burners, manifolds, fans, flue terminals and switches separately or as part of the appliance.
Choosing UL for all your gas appliance service needs provides you with all the advantages of partnering with a trustworthy single vendor as well as access to a complete bundle of solutions, including:
- Standards training and advisory services
- Testing and certification for global markets
- Gas Appliance Regulation (GAR)
- UL Mark for North America
- Gas components testing
- Electrical controls testing
- The Low Voltage Directive (LVD)
- The Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive (EMC)
- Demand response
- Nitric oxide (NOx) testing (commercial appliances)
- Marketing Claim Verification
- The ErP (Energy-related Products) and related Energy Star®, Ecodesign and Ecolabelling Directive
Gas Appliances Regulation (GAR)
The GAR is full harmonization legislation that clarifies the requirements each gas appliance and fitting has to fulfill and introduces harmonized content for the communication of gas supply conditions in EU countries, enabling the design and construction of safer and correctly performing products.
The Regulation covers:
- Appliances burning gaseous fuel and fittings
- New or secondhand appliances imported from a country outside of the EU
- All forms of supply, including distance sales
As a manufacturer or importer, you have to show and declare compliance with the GAR through an EC type-examination certificate and a demonstrably valid product(ion) surveillance contract as part of the technical construction file.
How your brand can benefit from working with UL
Our global presence, with laboratories offering services for gas appliances in North America, Canada, Europe and China, allows us to provide our customers with services in their own time zone and language.
UL holds several credentials such as:
- UL International Italia S.r.l. is a Notified Body for the GAR and Boiler Efficiency Directive (BED) to support the CE marking.
- UL International (UK) LTD U.K. is an Approved Body for GAR to support the UKCA marking.
- Underwriters Laboratories Inc. is an OSHA Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL).
- Four National Certification Bodies (NCBs) and numerous CB Test Laboratories (CBTL) within the IECEE CB Scheme.
Our trusted reputation and skilled engineers can provide you, regulatory authorities and your stakeholders with confidence that your appliance meets relevant regulations and standards.
- The UL Mark is one of the most recognized marks in the world and appears on tens of billions of products.
- Our experts sit on essential industry technical committees, and we’ve helped create more than 1,600 standards, defining safety, security and quality in the market.
- 66% of U.S. retailers prefer the UL Mark over other testing, inspection and certification (TIC) marks, according to an Interbrand study.
Additionally, UL’s Global Market Access program provides a complete compliance solution spanning the entire process and multiple regulations.
Global Market Access provides streamlined service paths through UL’s participation in global certification schemes. This often means you can gain certifications or approvals for many countries without needing to retest or work with multiple organizations. Our goal is to help you get your safer, compliant products to market as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible.
Our offerings include:
- Notified Body EC Type-Examination Certificates
- Notified Body EC Surveillance
- Notified Body EC Verification of Single Units
- Product testing according to SASO standards and regulations
- SASO Quality Mark (SQM) facilitation service
- SASO Quality Mark (SQM) Technical Review and Factory Audit
- CCC Marking
- Singapore Safety Mark
- KGS Standards
- AS/NZ Gas Safety Certification
UL can support you with market access services for almost any country in the world.
With 80 years of experience in testing and certifying gas appliances and as a global safety science leader, UL applies deep industry technical expertise, vast regulatory knowledge, strong connection with regulators and the resources of a worldwide network of laboratories and dedicated, local service. We can help you gain global market acceptance faster, improve safety, and manage risk.
|Standard||Products covered||Area of application|
|EN 30||Domestic cooking appliances burning gas||Europe|
|EN 298||Automatic gas burner control systems for gas burners and gas-burning appliances with or without fans||Europe|
|EN 203||Gas heated catering equipment||Europe|
|EN 26||Gas-fired instantaneous water heaters for sanitary uses production, fitted with atmospheric burners||Europe|
|EN 89||Gas-fired storage water heaters for the production of domestic hot water||Europe|
|EN 15502-1||Gas-fired heating boilers||Europe|
|EN 498||Specification for dedicated liquefied petroleum gas appliances - Barbecues for outdoor use contact grills included||Europe|
|EN 484||Specification for Dedicated Liquefied Petroleum Gas Appliances - Independent Hotplates, Including Those Incorporating a Grill for Outdoor Use||Europe|
|ANSI 83.11/ CSA 1.8||Gas Food Service Equipment||North America|
|ANSI Z21.1/CSA 1.1||Household Cooking Gas Appliances||North America|
|ANSI Z21.10.1/CSA 4.1||Gas-fired Water Heaters, Volume 1, Storage Water Heaters with Input Ratings of 75,000 Btu per Hour or Less||North America|
|CSA/AM ANSI Z21.10.3/CSA 4.3||Gas-fired water heaters, volume III, storage water heaters with input ratings above 75,000 Btu per hour, circulating and instantaneous||North America|
|SASO 168||LPG cook stoves include hobs, ovens and grills||Saudi Arabia|
|SASO 167||Methods of test for domestic cookers for use with liquefied petroleum gases||Saudi Arabia|
|GSO/UAE.S 1050||Domestic cookers for use with liquefied Petroleum gases||United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, Yemen|
|GSO/UAE.S 1049||Methods of test for domestic cookers for use with liquefied petroleum gases||United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, Yemen|
|GSO/SASO EN 203-1||GCC Standardization Organization (GSO) Gas heated catering equipment – Part 1 : General safety rules||United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Yemen|
|AS/NZS 5263.1.1||Gas appliances – Gas cooking appliances||Australia and New Zealand|
|AS/NZS 5263.1.7||Gas appliances – Domestic outdoor gas barbecues||Australia and New Zealand|
|AS/NZS 5263.1.8||Gas appliances – Decorative gas log and other fuel effect appliances||Australia and New Zealand|
|AS 4563||Commercial catering gas equipment||Australia and New Zealand|
More UL Standards