Non-low smoke halogen free cables can generate corrosive and toxic smoke and fumes that can damage electrical and electronic equipment during combustion. The use of low-smoke halogen free (LSHF) cables can help reduce equipment damage and smoke toxicity in commercial and residential building projects.
What do HF and LSHF mean?
The term “low-smoke halogen free” consists of two separate and distinct aspects of performance that must be considered in a cable evaluation.
- “Low-smoke” refers to the amount of smoke that a complete cable construction produces upon combustion.
- “Halogen free” refers to the amount of individual halogen elements (i.e., Chlorine, Bromine, Florine and Iodine) that are present in each combustible cable component.
To be accurately considered LSHF, a cable must be evaluated for its performance against each of these criteria.
UL’s HF and LSHF cable certification services
UL offers HF and LSHF evaluation as optional certification marks for compounds/components used in wire and cable and for all wire and cable categories in accordance with the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) 62821 series of standards.
UL listed cables that have received the optional “-HF” and “-LSHF” Marks also meet all other UL requirements for the general certification. All certifications will be covered under UL’s Follow-Up Service program, which is designed to monitor and test UL certified products to ensure that production is consistent and continually complies with certification requirements.
Benefits of HF and LSHF cable certification
Cable manufacturers, compound/component suppliers to the wire & cable industry and brand owners can differentiate their products in a highly competitive market by adopting globally recognized test methods, rather than relying on self-declaration of unsubstantiated claims. Certification information is publicly available and individual compound/component materials are listed in UL Product iQTM. This makes applicable requirements more transparent to customers and end users.
- UL’s safety, performance and marketing claim verification system helps promote compliance and reduce risk across the entire supply chain.
- Our Follow-up Service program helps manufacturers gain a competitive edge based on quality, reputation and service, making it more difficult for manufacturers that produce counterfeit or inferior products to survive.
- Our longstanding history in certification and standards development makes us a trusted thought leader in the compliance arena. Stakeholders rely on UL for research, knowledge and technical solutions to address safety issues and advise on new technologies.
- Comprehensive factory and market surveillance programs help to ensure a more compliant supply chain, fair competition in the marketplace, and reduce the risk and costs associated with unsafe products while helping to protect brand reputation and the integrity of the UL Mark.
- The UL anti-counterfeiting program leverages law enforcement expertise with a fully dedicated global security and brand protection operation team who work with authorities and global customs agencies combat counterfeiting.
- The use of the holographic label system sets UL apart by establishing a unique identifier for customs, regulators, buyers, retailers and consumers.
- Some product categories have the option for an additional on-demand promotional opportunity to include a direct link to your company website, product page, brochure, data sheet or flyer through UL Product iQTM databases.
- UL offers global testing and certification solutions for acceptance in North America, Latin America, Europe, Middle East and Asian countries. UL ranked second in the number of certification body (CB) certificates issued worldwide.1
- We continue to evolve UL’s capabilities and services to meet our customers’ increasing needs. Our goal is to help our customers rapidly develop and launch safer, superior products and meet the shifting requirements of a changing world.
1. Based on statistics released from 2011 to 2017 by IEC System of Conformity Assessment for Electrotechnical Equipment and Components (IECEE).
Download our white paper
Learn more about low-smoke, halogen-free cables.