November 23, 2021
On November 16, 2021, the European Commission published the Commission Implementing Decision (EU) 2021/1992in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU).
This publication provides the following standards harmonized under the European Toy Safety Directive 2009/48/EC:
- EN 71-2:2020 Safety of toys - Part 2: Flammability
- EN 71-3:2019+A1:2021 Safety of toys - Part 3: Migration of certain elements
- EN 71-4:2020 Safety of toys - Part 4: Experimental sets for chemistry and related activities
- EN 71-13:2021 Safety of toys - Part 13: Olfactory board games, cosmetic kits and gustative games
The date of cessation of presumption of conformity of superseded standards is 15 May 2022.
These standards will be the only ones used for demonstrating compliance with the corresponding Toy Safety Directive requirements for toys placed on the European market from that date
How UL can help
UL keeps you updated on the regulatory news impacting your business. Other information that may interest you includes:
- EN 71-2:2020 for Flammability in Toy Safety
- EN 71-3:2019+A1:2021 with the revised aluminum limit
In addition, UL’s experts can perform analytical testing on your toys to evaluate them according the current harmonized standards.