December 14, 2016
FDA Announces Request for Information on the Appropriate Product Category and Reference Amount of Nut Butter Spreads
Landing Copy: The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has announced a request for information regarding the appropriate reference amount customarily consumed (RACC) and the product category for certain food products.
Specifically, the request for information applies to flavored nut butter spreads (e.g., cocoa, cookie, and coffee flavored), as well as products that can be used to fill cupcakes and other desserts.
The rule specifies that food facilities need to establish and implement a food safety system that includes a hazard analysis and implementation of risk-based preventive controls for those hazards the facility identifies as requiring a preventive control.
The system must include the following:
- A hazard analysis
- Preventive controls
- A risk-based supply chain program, if appropriate
- A recall plan, if there is a hazard requiring a preventive control identified for an animal food
- Monitoring procedures
- Corrective action procedures
- Verification procedures
The guide is developed by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
This action is taken for the following reasons received by FDA:
- Issue guidance recognizing that “nut cocoa-based spreads” fall within the “Honey, jams, jellies, fruit butter, molasses” category for the purposes of RACC determination
- Amend the current regulation relating to RACCs to establish a new RACC category for “nut cocoa-based spreads” with a RACC of 1 tablespoon
A consultation is open for this starting November 2, 2016 until January 3, 2017.
Source URL 1: FDA Requests Information on the Appropriate Product Category and Reference Amount Customarily Consumed for Flavored Nut Butter Spreads and Products that Can Be Used to Fill Cupcakes and Other Desserts
Source URL 2: What You Need To Know About the Food and Drug Administration Regulation: Current Good Manufacturing Practice, Hazard Analysis, and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Human Food; Small Entity Compliance Guide; Availability