Hazard based safety approach for audio/visual and ITE products
In the ever-changing world of digital technology, safety standards for Audio/Visual and Information Technology Equipment (ITE) products are constantly being updated and developed to reflect the changes. Product safety for these products moved away from a prescriptive approach to a hazard safety approach with the introduction of 62368-1. Various countries across the globe are also transitioning to the second and third editions of the standard. This hazard-based 62368 standard offers greater flexibility in product design and makes it easier for introduction of new technology. UL can test and certify products for the various 62368-1 editions.
Replacing IEC/EN/UL/CSA 60950–1 with the IEC 62368-1 standard
62368-1 is the hazard-based standard that will eventually replace existing standards: IEC/EN/UL/CSA 60065, Audio, Video and Similar Electronic Apparatus, and IEC/EN/UL/CSA 60950–1, Information Technology Equipment. This new standard applies to a broad range of high-tech products from consumer electronics to office equipment and offers greater flexibility in product design, making it easier for the introduction of new technology.
The effective date for 62368-1 in the United States and Europe was Dec. 20, 2020. Noncompliant products can’t be sold in major markets beyond the effective date. For more information on the industry review process specifically associated with UL’s IEC 60950 — and 62368-based Standards, refer to the overview of the Consumer Technology Sector Review Process.
We have created a knowledge hub to help you prepare for a smooth transition from legacy standards 60065 and 60950-1, to 62368-1.
The 62368 Knowledge Hub is a comprehensive resource that includes:
- A copy of the 62368-1 Standard ($642 value)
- Step-by-step transition guide
- Notifications on latest updates to 62368-1
- Access to webinars/webcasts
- Exclusive members-only Q&A blog
- And more
Why UL for IEC 62368-1 compliance
The new standards cover a wide range of high-tech products, including:
- Computing and networking products: servers, PCs, routers, notebook/laptop computers, tablets and their power supplies
- Consumer electronics: amplifiers, home theater systems, digital cameras and personal music players
- Displays and display units: monitors, TVs and digital projectors
- Telecommunication products: network infrastructure equipment, cordless and mobile phones, and similar communication devices, including battery powered devices
- Office appliances: copiers and document shredders
- Similar varieties of audio/video, information and communication technology equipment: devices used in homes, schools, data processing centers, commercial and professional environments
Global Market Access
UL’s Global Market Access (GMA) services – along with our participation in the IECEE CB Scheme – help accelerate and simplify safe product development and deployment through global regulatory requirements.
UL's 62368 Knowledge Hub
IEC 62368-1, is the safety standard that is changing worldwide safety certification of consumer and enterprise technology products in the Audio/Video and Information Communication Technology sector. Based on Hazard-Based Safety Engineering (HBSE) principles, the standard brings real advantages to manufacturers of modern electronic equipment and components.
Download our infosheet
All the latest insights on the IEC 62368 standard as of June 2020: date of withdrawal, 3rd edition updates and more.