Review the FAQs to get answers to your questions about maintaining compliance with regulatory standard changes.
- What is the process when standard requirements change?
First, we determine both whether action is required on your part and the Effective Date for implementation of the new and/or revised standard requirements. Next, customers certified to that standard will receive a communication from UL Solutions with a summary of the new and/or revised requirements and a clear timeline for submitting samples and/or information.
You can see notifications about these requirement changes through the myUL®Client Portal. myUL® is a secure source that gives you an enhanced level of access to your UL Solutions project files such as product information, documents and services.
- I just received a letter indicating that re-evaluation may be required for my product(s). What do I need to do next?
We provide you with an initial announcement to inform you of the new standard publication, the new and/or revised standard requirements, when the changes become effective and a deadline by which to submit your product. This announcement will explain that no action is required from you at that time, pending receipt of the status letter specific to your file, which will indicate whether any further evaluations of your product(s) are needed.
After we review your file to determine the status of your product certification with respect to the new and/or revised requirements, we will provide you with a status letter with an attached information table. The information table will specify products that need additional evaluation to determine compliance with the new and/or revised requirements. In the information table, indicate which products you would like quoted for re-evaluation to the updated standard and which products you would like to schedule for withdrawal at no cost.
- I just received a letter indicating that re-evaluation is not required. What do I need to do next?
This announcement serves as a courtesy alerting you to the standard change and that your product does not need to be re-evaluated at this time. However, if you decide to modify your product after the updated standard goes into effect, it may need to be re-evaluated for compliance to the new requirements.
At UL Solutions, we encourage you to maintain product certification regularly to ease acceptance from code authorities. As standards evolve, your products may need to be evaluated not just to the newest updates but to additional standard revisions implemented since your last evaluation.
- Who can I talk to about certification requirement changes?
For questions about these changes, please contact the lead operations manager identified in the announcement you received alerting you to the changes. For general questions on certification requirement changes, contact us.
- My company is an alternate listee (AL) or a multiple listee (ML). Do I receive a letter alerting me to a certification change?
We do not typically send announcements to alternate or multiple listees. If you are an alternate or multiple listee and you receive a letter, it is for your information only.
- Where can I get copies of UL Standards?
All UL Standards are available here. Customers have access to all UL Standards at no cost. For help obtaining a specific Standard, please contact us.
- Will I be charged for the review that determines if my product needs to be re-evaluated?
No. We complete the initial review to check whether your product needs to be re-evaluated at no additional cost.
- How will I be notified if my product(s) have to be re-evaluated for compliance with the new requirements?
After we complete our initial review of your file, we will send you a status letter through myUL to let you know if your product(s) need additional evaluation. The status letter will have an attached information table specifying products that need additional evaluation to determine compliance with the new and/or revised requirements.
- What actions do I need to take if my products/models need evaluation?
Upon receiving your status letter, you will have the opportunity to indicate on the information table which products you would like quoted for re-evaluation to the updated standard and which products you would like to schedule for withdrawal. For products that require action to remain certified, we will provide a quote for additional examination and/or testing. If action is required on your part and you do not wish to maintain compliance, please indicate in the information table which date you would like those products scheduled for withdrawal (no later than the Effective Date).
If we do not hear from you after the letter’s distribution, certification of your affected products will cease on the Effective Date indicated in the status letter and you will no longer be able to continue to use the UL certification Mark.
- The information table indicates that some products/models are noncompliant or that their compliance needs to be determined, but it doesn’t provide any details. How do I find out what the issues are?
The information table is intended only to communicate the status of currently certified products in reference to the applicable new/revised standard requirements. You may request a quote for an evaluation to determine specific issues by completing and returning the information table or by contacting us. In this evaluation, we will provide you with a detailed description of areas of noncompliance with the new/revised requirements. Additionally, we encourage you to review the updated standard(s) and familiarize yourself and your team with the updated requirements to help you determine any areas that may need further evaluation.
- Will I receive confirmation that UL Solutions has received my completed information table when I return it?
Yes, we will confirm receipt of your letter. You will receive quotes where requested, and withdrawals will be processed for your proposed date or by the Effective Date of the standard changes.
- What happens if I don’t submit redesigned products that comply with the new or revised requirements?
If we do not receive redesigned products that comply with the new standard, those products will no longer be certified and cannot bear the UL Mark after the new standard’s Effective Date.
- What is the deadline for submitting revised products?
The letter you receive will identify the deadline for submitting revised products. To allow time to address any noncompliances discovered during the evaluation, we suggest making your initial submission as early as possible.
- What if I submit my revised product designs early but don't wish to change my current manufacturing process until the Effective Date?
If you wish, you can continue to manufacture your product in its current configuration until the Effective Date of the revised requirements.
- Can I submit a product for UL certification under previous standard requirements, even if changes to those requirements have already been announced?
If the Effective Date for the standard updates has not yet passed and you would like to submit a product under the previous requirements, you may. However, your products will need to demonstrate compliance with the most recent requirements by the Effective Date or you will have to withdraw them.
- Will I be notified once the project is complete?
Yes, we will contact you upon completion of the project.