UL-CASP ISO 21448 Training with Optional Certification Exam
This 2.5-day training course establishes guiding principles and practical best practices for autonomous vehicle safety as described in the ISO 21448:2022 standard, Road Vehicles — Safety of the Intended Functionality. The course agenda closely aligns with ISO 21448:2022, and the relevant certification applies to autonomous and semi-autonomous (or “automated driver assist”) systems, spanning Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) autonomy levels 1-5. This course includes several group exercises and work examples to illustrate key concepts relating to relevant real-world automotive technologies and systems.
What does this training cover?
- Introduction to advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) and autonomous vehicles (AV)
- Safety of the Intended Function (SOTIF)
- The ISO 21448:2022 framework for SOTIF
- ADAS and AV system specification and design
- Hazard identification and risk analysis
- Acceptance criteria, validation targets and validation effort using rationale such as:
- Globalement au moins aussi bon, or “globally at least as good” (GAMAB)
- “As low as reasonably practicable” (ALARP)
- “Minimal endogenous mortality” (MEM)
- Analysis of functional insufficiencies and triggering conditions using various methods such as failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA), fault tree analysis (FTA) and systems theoretic process analysis (STPA)
- Functional modifications to reduce SOTIF risks
- Developing a complete verification and validation strategy
- Verification – Evaluating known hazardous scenarios using scenario testing at the system and vehicle levels
- Validation – Evaluating unknown hazardous scenarios using simulation and test
- Defining criteria for SOTIF release and the associated SOTIF release process
- Operating phase activities necessary for post-release implementation in the field
- An introduction to other relevant safety standards in ADAS and AV
- Process-oriented requirements for safety development processes
- Wrap-up and discussion topics
Optional UL Certified autonomy safety professional exam
Participants who complete the full 2.5-day training are eligible to take a two-hour certification exam in the afternoon of the third day. Those who pass the exam will be individually certified as UL Certified Autonomy Safety Professionals (UL-CASP) in ISO 21448.
Upon successfully completing the UL-CASP exam, participants will receive a certificate and badge that they can use to demonstrate their competence in the ISO 21448 AV safety standard. The certification is valid for three years, after which individuals may recertify.
Why should I take this training?
Upon successful completion of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Understand the fundamentals of SOTIF according to the ISO 21448:2022 framework
- Comprehend and construct development processes for ADAS and AV systems that achieve SOTIF
- Perform hazard analysis and risk assessment per ISO 21448:2022, including defining acceptance criteria for validation of ADAS and AV systems
- Analyze systems with respect to triggering conditions as well as functional insufficiencies, and derive scenario testing to fully develop and verify performance in the face of such conditions
- Develop a verification and validation strategy to address both known and unknown hazardous scenarios through a combination of testing methods and techniques applied at the system level and vehicle level
- Understand the role of simulation, vehicle scenario tests and vehicle field/fleet tests when creating a complete verification and validation argument
Who is this training for?
- AV hardware and software developers
- Simulation engineers working with ADAS and AV verification
- Test and validation engineers
- Project and product leaders
- Compliance engineers
Why choose UL Solutions?
From materials testing to supply chain management, new energy options to security and interoperability resources, leverage our expertise and insights to navigate the global regulatory landscape and bring your products to market.
UL Solutions’ global network of technical experts and state-of-the-art facilities, along with our longstanding relationships with regulatory authorities, partner laboratories and industry technical leaders, helps manufacturers gain the compliance credentials they need to compete in a more complex global supply chain.
Knowledge you can trust – Our experienced staff will support you from the initial design stage of product development through testing and production. Our experts can assist you in understanding the certification requirements for your specific markets.
Speed and efficiency – Our cost-effective systems and state-of-the-art facilities bypass bureaucratic obstacles and help accelerate your time to market.
Single-source provider – UL Solutions can meet all of your compliance needs and, by bundling safety, performance and interoperability services, can also help save you valuable time and money.
Global reach and access – Our global network of expert engineers can help you understand the various national and global requirements for your specific market application.