By Joe Musso, Standards Program Manager
Sign up for “What’s New” by selecting “Join Email List” on the What’s New site to receive email notifications twice a month listing the various UL and ULC Standards documents published during that timeframe.
UL 676 – Underwater Luminaires and Submersible Junction Boxes
A new set of 10 proposal topics have been circulated for STP ballot, opening in CSDS April 26, 2019, closing June 10. The following topics are addressed in the proposals:
1. Scope clarifications for non-metallic forming shells and junction boxes
2. Lens guards
3. Installation instructions related to flexible cords
4. Electric shock test luminaire constant (N)
5. Gasket testing
6. Luminaires mounted within 18" of the water level
7. Submersible luminaires – applicable clauses from part I
8. Cycling under water test
9. Number of required grounding connections for submersible junction boxes
10. Editorial corrections and adjustments
All of the topics except number six reached consensus, and will proceed to publication Q3 2019.
UL 1598 – Luminaires (Tri-National Standard)
Several new proposals have been received, and were compiled in preparation for the next revision cycle to begin. Preliminary STP and public review opened July 26, 2019, closing August 23.
UL 1993 – Self-Ballasted Lamps and Lamp Adapters
A series of 20 new proposals are currently under STP preliminary and public review until September 23, 2019.
UL 8750 – Light Emitting Diode (LED) Equipment for Use in Lighting Products
A new 10-topic proposal was circulated for ballot April 19, 2019, closing June 3. Consensus was reached on all topics, with a recirculation of several topics required. Recirculation opened July 26, 2019, closing August 26. The proposals address the following topics:
1. Required spacings for wiring terminals
2. New supplement for type IC LED drivers
3. Special Use LED arrays
4. LVLE circuits
5. Temperature coded LED arrays
6. Grounding and bonding
7. Class 2 circuits
8. Output loading – output short circuit
9. Markings and product specification sheet
10. Supplement SG – temperature value at TC point