July 18, 2022
by Xunyao Fu, PhD., regulatory specialist, UL's Supply Chain team
The Malaysian Department of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) published the proposed amendments to the Occupational Safety and Health (Classification, Labelling and Safety Data Sheet of Hazardous Chemicals) Regulations (CLASS) 2013 on June 13, 2022.
The CLASS Regulations 2013 were enacted to align with GHS Revision 3. With the 2022 amendments, Malaysia is moving to adopt GHS Revision 8.
The proposed amendments are focused on the following items:
- Revising the GHS classifications of Flammable gases, Aerosols and Chemicals under pressure to align with GHS Revision 8.
- Adopting new GHS categories for hazard classes of Skin corrosion or irritation, Serious eye damage or eye irritation, Respiratory sensitization and Skin sensitization.
- Stipulating pictogram dimensions on labels and revising measurements for labels.
- Changing the cut-off value for Aspiration hazard from >=10.0% to >=1.0%.
- Revising the small container size from 125 mL to 250 mL.
- Changing the update of label when there is any change in classification from within 3 months to 6 months.
The draft was published only in Malay, but once the official amendments are issued on the gazette, there will also be an English version available.
The proposed amendments are open to public comments from June 13, 2022 to August 15, 2022.
Recommended action items
- Submit any comments or concerns you might have to the DOSH.
- Keep an eye out for the publication of the official amendments.
Regulatory Roundup Newsletter
Never miss an update
UL, the global safety science leader, can keep you updated on the latest events with a variety of materials, ranging from the latest regulatory news, webinars, white papers, events, industry insights and more.
Subscribe to our monthly Regulatory Roundup Newsletter and stay up to date on current and upcoming regulations and all the latest chemical industry news.
Get connected with our sales team
Thanks for your interest in our products and services. Let's collect some information so we can connect you with the right person.