Roofing product testing and certification solutions
Roofing products and systems are designed to resist the impacts of fire, wind, rain, hail and extreme temperatures. Since we’ve been working with the roofing industry for decades to develop standards that improve performance, we can help test and certify that your products do, in fact, meet these criteria for performance.
Roofing industry testing standards and related requirements
We perform fire, wind resistance and wind uplift, impact resistance, structural and physical property testing to UL Standards, UL Canada (ULC) Standards, and ASTM International. These standards are driven by model codes organizations such as the International Code Council (ICC), the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and the National Research Council of Canada (NRC).
We also have the capabilities to test to regional requirements such as those required by Florida’s Miami-Dade County and the Texas Department of Insurance. Our services are available for both commercial and residential roofing materials and systems.
Roofing product energy efficiency testing
Additionally, we offer ENERGY STAR® testing for roofing materials and systems, as we’ve seen a rise in state and local municipalities require materials to meet energy efficiency requirements. We are also an accredited test laboratory for the Cool Roof Rating Council (CRRC), an independent organization that develops methods for evaluating and labeling the solar reflectance and thermal emittance of roofing products.
Working with UL Solutions for roofing testing and certification services
We are a widely recognized, independent organization that regulators trust and rely on, and the UL Mark is one of the most recognized in the industry. Working with us not only helps you build trust in your products; it helps to build confidence in your brand.
Our testing, inspection, and certification services help manufacturers get compliant products to the market quickly. These services are designed to elevate the level of trust that purchasers have in the performance, reliability, sustainability and safety of your roofing products and systems.
Roofing product and system Certification services
Specifically, our certification services provide evidence that products and systems meet regulatory and market requirements. They include the following:
- UL Mark Certification service
- C-UL Mark Certification service
- Brazil INMETRO Mark certification service
- Florida validation service
- ENERGY STAR service
- Multiple Listing Service
- UL evaluation report (ER) service
- Field evaluation service
- UL GREENGUARD Certification
- Environmental product declaration (EPD)
- Environmental claims validation service
- Engineering evaluation and support service
Our testing services assess compliance to the following UL Solutions and industry standards:
- Dynamic wind uplift resistance of membrane -roofing systems (CSA A123.21)
- Edge systems used with low-slope roofing systems (ANSI/SPRI ES-1)
- Fire Tests of Roof Coverings - spread of flame, intermittent flaming, burning brand (UL 790/ASTM E108)
- Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials – fire resistance of roofing systems (UL 263/ASTM E119)
- Impact test (UL 2218)
- Solar reflectance/thermal emittance (ASTM C1549 and C1371)
- Wind resistance (ASTM D3161 and ASTM D7158)
- Wind uplift (UL 1897 – 10x10ft, 5x8ft and 12x24ft deck)
- Wind uplift (UL 580)
The UL Evaluation Report, an additional differentiator, provides code authorities with added confirmation that roofing products and assemblies have been evaluated to the diverse code requirements to which they must comply.
Building inspection: fire, life safety and security
Our building inspection services provide confidence that buildings meet critical code requirements. Our experts help identify building compliance gaps and guide improvements for proper operation of your fire, life safety and security systems.
Roofing system advisory services
Our advisory services provide technical design assessments, commissioning and forensics services to help confirm roofing systems are designed and installed to provide the expected performance. Services include:
- Building envelope forensic services
- Building envelope commissioning services
Sustainability and Environment
UL Solutions Environment sustainability services provide architects, designers and professional purchasers a reliable sourcing tool for roofing products that have been evaluated to sustainable and responsible requirements.