September 3, 2020
By: Kongpob Rattanakornkun, India regulatory program expert
On June 30, 2020, the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) issued an important instruction to all manufacturers and permittees of LED lamps regarding the implementation of the revised energy consumption requirement according to Gazette notification dated October 9, 2020, in the following link.
Please refer to the summary of BEE instructions below:
- Ministry of Power has accorded an in-principle approval to BEE’s request to extend the effective date of implementation of revised energy consumption standards which were to be made effective from July 1, 2020, by a period of six months. The new effective date will be January 1, 2021).
Below is a table of revised energy consumption standards based on Gazette notification dated October 9, 2020, for reference.
Star level valid from July 1st, 2020 to June 30th, 2023
|S. No.||Star rating band||Luminous Efficacy (Lumen/Watt)|
|1.||1 Star *||>79 and <90 - Freeze|
|2.||2 Star **||>90 and <105|
|3.||3 Star ***||>105 and <120|
|4.||4 Star ****||>120 and <135|
|5.||5 Star *****||>135.";|
Star level validation of table 3.2 has been updated according to Ministry of Power Notification number S.O.2178 (Link here) published on July 1, 2020, to “January 1, 2021, to June 30, 2023.”
- Accordingly, the existing energy consumption standards for LED lamps would be valid until December 31, 2020.
- Amendment notification in this regard would be issued shortly and made available in public domain once notified in the Gazette of India.
- In lieu of the above, BEE’s approval for all the active models which are applicable until June 30, 2020, would be extended automatically until December 31, 2020.
- No continuation fee in this regard is to be paid by the manufacturers or permittees.
- A duly filled in self-declaration form (enclosed in an attached file) is to be submitted by every manufacturer or permittee to [email protected] by July 8, 2020, or BEE’s approval shall be canceled.
- Note that sample labels to be affixed on each model of self-ballasted LED lamps being continued from July 1, 2020, shall mandatorily contain the revised label validity period (from January 1, 2018, to Decemeber 31, 2020) or it shall be treated as a noncompliant.
- For fresh applications submitted from July 1, 2020, onward shall upload the sample label with revised label validity period as January 1, 2018, to December 31, 2020.
How UL can help
According to the BEE labeling program, the test report under applicable Indian standards is required for BEE registration. Our global footprint includes laboratories in India and China to provide testing services according to Indian standards for LED lamps (IS 16102). Customers can use UL’s test report for BEE’s approval process.