The Government of Hong Kong has officially published the “Toys and Children's Products Safety Ordinance (Amendment of Schedules 1 and 2) Notice 2016,” updating safety standards for toys in Schedule 1 and listed children's products in Schedule 2 under the Toys and Children's Products Safety Ordinance (Cap 424).
Additionally stated in the ordinance, a person must not manufacture, import or supply a toy or a product under Schedule 2 unless it has complied with applicable requirements in any one set of the safety standards specified in Schedule 1 and 2.
Among the products listed in Schedule 2 include:
- Babies’ dummies
- Bunk beds for domestic use
- Child safety barriers for domestic use
- Children’s cots for domestic use
- Children’s high chairs and multi-purpose high chairs for domestic use
- Children’s paints
- Playpens for domestic use
- Wheeled child conveyances
Published on January 15, 2016, the safety ordinance shall take effect on October 1, 2016.