The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has agreed to deadlines on final food safety rules mandated by the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
The consent agreement, issued by the U.S. District Court in the Northern District of California, appears to be the final chapter on a legal action brought against the FDA by consumer activist groups.
The FDA’s new timeline for final regulations is:
- Preventive Controls for Human Food: Aug. 30, 2015;
- Preventive Controls for Animal Food: Aug. 30, 2015;
- Foreign Supplier Verification Program: Oct. 31, 2015;
- Produce Safety Standards; Oct. 31, 2015;
- Accreditation of Third Party Auditors: Oct. 31, 2015; and
- Sanitary Transport of Food and Feed: March 31, 2016.