The European Commission (EC) has approved the use of peracetic acid for use in biocidal products, specifically for:
- Product-type 1 (Disinfectants, Human hygiene)
- Product-type 2 (Disinfectants, Disinfectants and algaecides not intended for direct application to humans or animals)
- Product-type 3 (Disinfectants, Veterinary hygiene)
- Product-type 4 (Disinfectants, Food and feed area)
- Product-type 5 (Disinfectants, Drinking water)
- Product-type 6 (Preservatives, Preservatives for products during storage)
This regulation was published in the Official Journal on April 30, and entered into force on May 20, 2016.