June 1, 2020
By Daniela Tejeda, Regulatory Program Expert
On Dec. 3, 2020, resolution 795/2019 was published, establishing the implementation date for the energy efficiency requirements for electric LED lamps for general lighting in Argentina, effective from:
First stage: May 31, 2020
- Omni-directional LED lamps: Aug. 28, 2020
- Unidirectional or bidirectional LED lamps. Dec. 1, 2020
- Linear geometry LED lamps (tubes): March 2, 2021
For the first stage, all manufacturers and importers having water pumps to be imported/commercialized in Argentina need to show a letter proving the certification process start date issued by the Certification Office.
For the second stage, a valid certificate displaying the energy efficiency label on the product is mandatory within the implementation dates per product category.
This regulation does not apply to:
- LED lamps with a luminous flux less than 30 lm
- LED lamps using batteries
- LED lamps that incorporate with color change features
- LED lamps with color diodes or color coating
- LED lamps not directly connected to the grid
The technical requirements are described in IRAM 62404-3 “Energy efficiency labeling of electric lamps for general lighting. Part 3 – LED lamps.” Compliance with this resolution will be through the mark of conformity (type 5) scheme. Follow up every 18 months for the quality system at the factory is required as well as complete testing to the products taken from the marketplace.