Why choose UL Solutions?
The plan review and inspections of modular buildings help provide confidence to architects, building manufacturers, building owners and code officials that the modular buildings meet or exceed code requirements.
Through our modular building inspection services, UL Solutions witnesses the construction of the modular unit before shipping. We observe various building systems in operation to assess whether buildings, fire, life safety, mechanical, plumbing and electrical systems meet applicable code requirements.
We utilize a detailed, rigorous inspection process that results in an objective report of compliance gaps so you can make informed decisions before shipping.
Achieve code compliance for your modular building’s design and construction
UL Solutions can help you navigate the complex issues of regional code requirements and emergency response.
By inspecting systems and equipment before the unit ships, our building inspection services help increase confidence that the building has undergone an objective inspection. Relevant codes and standards are based on both international and local regulations, such as:
- ICC building, fire, mechanical and plumbing codes
- National Electrical Code® (NEC®)
- NFPA 5000®, Building Construction and Safety Code®
- NFPA 1, Fire Code
- NFPA 101®, Life Safety Code®
- NFPA 855, Standard for the Installation of Stationary Energy Storage Systems
- UL 3223, Outline of Investigation for Data Center Certification
UL Solutions offers these steps for your modular and traditional buildings:
- Peer plan review
- Factory inspections of units (on-site and remote)
- Certificate of inspection for each factory-built unit
- Installation site review (upon request)
Does your building design include the use of non-listed building products? If yes, UL Solutions can provide a full certification or an on-site field evaluation. A field evaluation is a process whereby products or equipment that do not have a certification acceptable to the code authorities, owner or other regulatory body can be evaluated to the applicable product safety standard(s) for the specific application and location where the product is being utilized. The process includes construction inspection for the use of components, assembly and limited nondestructive testing to complete the assessment.
Site-specific field evaluations help regulatory authorities determine the compliance of a product, leading to approval of the installation. Our evaluation process includes documentation review, visual and mechanical inspection, suitability for installation in accordance with the adopted installation code(s) such as the NEC, applicable testing and an engineering report. Our Field Evaluation services can be requested by anyone involved with the product, including business owners, manufacturers and contractors.
For modular and traditional buildings, UL Solutions offers a range
of inspection services
- Occupancy classification or equipment designation
- Types of construction identification
- Site location limitations for unit height and coverage
- Energy storage system (ESS) protection
- Emergency access routes and open spaces
- Fire compartmentation
- Openings in fire-rated walls and floors
- Smoke control and venting
- Interior finish surfaces
- Exit systems
- Egress ramps
- Emergency and escape lighting
- Illumination and marking of means of egress
- Fire detection and early warning equipment
- Emergency procedures plan
Fire protection systems
- Portable fire extinguishers
- Sprinkler systems
- Fire pumps
- Standpipe and hose systems
- Mechanical and plumbing systems
- Electrical systems
How can UL Solutions inspect all of my units even if they’re not on-site?
We can provide virtual inspecton of future units. Once both UL Solutions and the manufacturing teams are satisfied with the equipment and the craftsmanship of the trades used for the installation, the process for product certifications and quality assurance begins.
Where do you offer these services?
We offer these services throughout the U.S. and internationally. We have internally trained staff and a network of resources with deep expertise in local and global regulations. Our teams have conducted inspections throughout Europe, Asia and North and South America.