UL now offers ECE R100/R136 type approval services
Electric Vehicle (EV) battery and system safety and performance
With continued growth and innovation in the EV sector, OEMs, manufacturers and suppliers seek the support of knowledgeable and trusted third-party labs to help them enhance safety and performance, reduce development cycles and increase speed-to-market.
We offer comprehensive testing and certification services for EV battery technologies, including cells, modules, packs, BMS board stages and battery pack systems. Our capabilities span electrochemical properties, environmental, mechanical and electrical reliability and abuse of security to manage safety risks and quality, improve performance and demonstrate compliance for market access.
Requirements for large batteries used in electric vehicles
OEMs and industry stakeholders continue to evolve requirements and best practices to help mitigate the risk of fire and electrical hazards and enhance battery and system safety. Some of these requirements include:
- UL 2580 Batteries for Use In Electric Vehicles
- UL 2271 Batteries for Use In Light Electric Vehicle (LEV) Applications
- ISO 26262 Road vehicles
- UN ECE R100 and UN ECE R136 for European market access
- UN ECE Regulation No. 100 (ECE R100) and UN ECE Regulation No. 136 (ECE R136) European Type Approval apply to EVs in Class L as well as Class M and N with a maximum design speed exceeding 25 km/h. Type Approval Service ECE R100/R136 is required by the European Parliament and the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UN ECE). Mandatory for all components and systems for automotive components within the European Union, the European Type Approval covers more than 50 countries.
The German federal motor transport authority, Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt (KBA), declared UL Solutions an official designated laboratory. The designation enables us to offer the Type Approval Service ECE R100/R136 tests covering:
- Battery robustness for vibration
- Thermal shock and cycling
- Mechanical shock and integrity
- Fire resistance
- External short-circuit protection
- Overcharge and overdischarge protection
- Over temperature protection
Why UL Solutions
E-mobility manufacturers must monitor the landscape carefully to stay abreast of technical developments and the changing regulatory environment. We combine extensive safety science and battery experience with deep regulatory compliance expertise to help customers manage safety and performance risks throughout the product life cycle.
Virtual European Energy Summit 2021
Staying up to date on the latest trends and technology in the energy industry is key to designing and producing safe, reliable, energy-efficient and innovative products across the energy storage systems, e-mobility and DER industries.