Building Envelope and facade mock-up pre-construction testing
Rely on UL Solutions' building envelope testing services to help you enhance the quality of your building’s envelope and facade, mitigate risks with your building envelope components and demonstrate that you meet project specifications and regulatory requirements.
Our performance mock-up and facade testing services can help you save time and costs by identifying areas of potential concern like leakages and structural performance. You can then make any necessary changes before construction begins.
Building envelope and enclosure testing services
UL Solutions' highly specialized and experienced staff can test your curtain wall and facade mock-ups to the applicable regional and industry requirements as seen in some highlighted areas below:
- American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA)
- AAMA 501.1: Standard Test Method for Water Penetration of Windows, Curtain Walls and Doors Using Dynamic Pressure.
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- ASTM E330: Standard Test Method for structural performance of exterior windows, doors, skylights and curtain walls by uniform static air pressure difference
- ASTM E1105: Standard Test Method for field determination of water penetration of installed exterior windows, skylights, doors and curtain walls by uniform or cyclic static air pressure difference.
- ASTM E283: Standard Test Method for determining rate of air leakage through exterior windows, curtain walls, and doors under specified pressure differences across the specimen.
- ASTM E547: Standard Test Method for water penetration of exterior windows, skylights, doors, and curtain walls by cyclic static air pressure differences.
- The Centre for Window and Cladding Technology (CWCT)
- Canadian Standard Association (CSA)
- European Standards (EN)
The building envelope and façade performance tests we offer cover a wide range of extreme weather conditions, including air infiltration, water penetration (static and dynamic), wind loads and impact testing.
Building envelope testing and commissioning can be performed on a multitude of performance mock-up products and envelope components, including metal or glass curtain walls, window walls, precast concrete, sloped glazing, masonry, rainscreen systems and metal cladding systems.
The benefit of testing your building envelope and façade with UL Solutions
We are a trusted partner for some of North America’s and Europe’s largest system manufacturers. Our longstanding relationships with the design and construction community have garnered us respect and specialized knowledge in the industry.
Europe building envelope and facade testing
- Centre for Window and Cladding Technology (CWCT)
- EN 13830
North America PMU building mock-up performance testing
Laboratory testing — air
- ASTM E283
- ASTM E2178
- ASTM E2357
- ASTM E1186
Laboratory testing — interstory drift
- AAMA 501.4
- AAMA 501.7
Laboratory testing — impact and cycling
- Hurricane — TAS 201, 202, 203 or ASTM E1886, ASTM E1996
Laboratory testing — water
- ASTM E331
- ASTM E547
- AAMA 508
- AAMA 509
- AAMA 501.1
Laboratory testing — structural
- ASTM E330
Laboratory testing — thermal
- AAMA 1503
- AAMA 1506
- AAMA 501.5
Why UL Solutions for Building Envelope Testing Services
When considering field testing, it is important to identify the areas that are most representative of the building design as well as include critical interface connections of fenestration products with the building envelope wall assembly. Field testing should also be considered at different stages of construction or even years after in-service use.
Building performance is critical in today’s construction environment. By complying with model building code requirements and using the appropriate methods. UL Solutions has the expertise performing the evaluation methods in each stage of the construction.