A thermal barrier is a material or product that prevents or delays the ignition of a flammable surface, such as foam plastic insulation or metal composite material, in the event of a fire. When a foam plastic insulation is left exposed within the interior of a building, it’s required to be separated from the interior of the building by an approved thermal barrier in accordance with chapter 26 of the 2018 International Building Code. Thermal barrier products can range from rigid boardlike systems to spray coating materials and may include other types of heat and fire shielding technologies.
To meet the requirements of NFPA 275, standard method of fire tests for the evaluation of thermal barriers, the thermal barrier is evaluated for two separate conditions. The first test is a temperature transmission fire test. To comply with the integrity fire test portion of NFPA 275, a second evaluation is conducted in accordance with FM 4880 - Flame Retardants, UL 1040 – Standard for Fire Test of Insulated Wal Construction, NFPA 286 or UL 1715 - Fire Test of Interior Finish Material.
If you’re an architect or part of the regulatory community, finding a thermal barrier manufacturer that meets regulatory compliance is an easy way for you to help ensure the safety of your project and community at-large. Your stakeholders can rest easily knowing their thermal barrier was tested and certified by an approved third-party certification body. This also includes the post-test routine inspections of the thermal barrier production to help ensure quality and consistency of the thermal barrier material production. All certified thermal barrier systems will be posted to UL’s Product iQ™ fire resistance listings for quick reference, while highlighting the certification allowances and limitations.
- Our goal is to help you rapidly develop and launch safer, superior products, and meet the shifting requirements of a changing world.
- We offer global testing and certification solutions for acceptance in North America, Latin America, Europe, Middle East and Asia. We continue to extend our capabilities and services to meet your increasing needs.
- Our long-standing history in certification and standards development makes us a trusted thought leader. Stakeholders rely on us for research, knowledge and technical solutions to address safety issues and advise on new technologies.
- Our compliance system helps ensure compliance and reduce liability and risk across the entire supply chain.
- Our Follow-up Services (FUS) program helps manufacturers gain a competitive edge based on quality, reputation and service, making it more difficult for manufacturers that produce counterfeit or inferior products to survive.
- Comprehensive factory and market surveillance programs help to ensure a more compliant supply chain, fair competition in the marketplace, and reduce the risk and costs associated with unsafe products while helping to protect brand reputation and the integrity of the UL Mark.
- Our anti-counterfeiting program leverages law enforcement expertise with a fully dedicated Global Security and Brand Protection team who work with authorities and global customs agencies combatting counterfeiting.
- The use of the holographic label system sets us apart by establishing a unique identifier for customs, regulators, buyers, retailers and consumers.
- Some product categories have the option for an additional on-demand promotional opportunity to include a direct link to your company website, product page, brochure, data sheet or flyer through UL iQTM databases.