January 21, 2015
The World Trade Organization (WTO) has announced Brazil’s National Institute of Metrology, Quality and Technology (INMETRO) Ministerial Order No. 489 as of November 4, 2014, a notification regarding the conformity procedures and assessments in the country.
The Order highlights toy safety by having mandatory certification conducted by an accredited body to prevent consumption accidents, and covers the following children’s toys:
- Wheeled toys designed to be ridden by children (tricycles, scooters, pedal cars)
- Dolls carriages (HS 9501)
- Dolls representing only human beings (HS 9502)
- Other toys with reduced-size ("scale") models and similar recreational models
- Puzzles of all kinds (HS 9503)
- Toy parts and accessories (HS 9501; 9502; 9503)
It revokes Ordinance 133 from August 2003 and Ordinance 49 from February 2008. It will also revoke Ordinance 108 from June 2005, Ordinance 369 from September 2007, Ordinance 321 from October 2009, Ordinance 152 from April 2010, Ordinance 377 from September 2010 and Ordinance 117 from March 2011.
Date of adoption and entry into force will be determined after the end of the January 5, 2015 consultation period.