According to new EU Regulation No 1169/2011, food and beverage industries must abide by food labeling requirements and properly inform consumers about their products, or could face penalties.
New food labeling requirements include:
- Nutrition information on processed foods;
- Origin labelling of fresh meat from pigs, sheep, goats and poultry;
- Highlighting allergens e.g. peanuts or milk in the list of ingredients;
- Better legibility i.e. minimum size of text;
- Requirements on information on allergens also cover non pre-packed foods including those sold in restaurants and cafés.