December 1, 2020
By Kongpob Rattanakornkun, India regulatory program expert
According to Indian requirements for LED lamps, the updated requirements regarding the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) labeling program and Compulsory Registration Order (CRO) are mandatory. Please refer to the update requirement of each program as follows:
Compulsory Registration Order
According to the notification in the official Gazette on Sept. 16, 2020, (Link here), the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) announced the extension of the implementation timeline of product categories (including LED lamps) for CRO - Phase IV to April 1, 2021.
Energy Efficiency Labeling Program
On Sept. 24, 2020, BEE has issued the Important Instruction for all LED lamp manufacturer and permittee. Please refer the summary details as below.
- Amendment Notification under clause (a) of Section 14 of the EC Act for self-ballast LED lamp was notified vide S.O. 2178 (E). You can refer amendment Gazette notification as following: Link here.
- The validity of existing energy consumption standards for LED lamps is extended for a period of six months from June 30, 2020, to Dec. 31, 2020. New energy consumption standards will come into force on Jan. 1, 2021. Accordingly, all the active models are to be degraded according to the revised norms for LED lamps.
- Please note that all approved models of LED lamps would expire automatically on Dec. 31, 2020. Therefore, manufacturers that want to continue to use BEE label approval for LED lamp models must follow the procedures below.
Instruction for permittees that want to continue using the existing model
- If the permittee is willing to continue with the existing models, they have to select the “Degradation option” being displayed on the manufacturer’s portal, provide relevant details and upload all the required documents with stamp and signature of the authorized signatory.
- The permittee shall submit the renewal fee of 1,000 rupees per model only through an acceptable online mode of payment.
- The permittee shall submit online the following documents to BEE on or before Dec. 31, 2020:
- Degradation form
- Previous approval letter issued by BEE
- New sample label with revised star label and label validity period
- All existing models are valid only until Dec. 31, 2020, and will expire automatically after the expiration of the validity period.
- Once approved, the model with revised label particulars will directly appear on search and compare pages of the BEE star label website: https://www.BEEStarLabel.com/SearchCompare.
Steps to apply for degradation
- Login to the manufacturer’s portal (www.BEEStarLabel.com/manageuser/manageuser)
- Select the degradation link (Change label to New label)
- List of previously approved models will be displayed
- Select “Proceed for Continuation” and fill relevant details. The degradation link went live on Sept. 28, 2020.
How UL can help:
According to the BEE labeling program and Compulsory Registration program, the test report of LED lamps according to the applicable Indian standard is mandatory required for approval process of both programs. We have a global footprint that includes a laboratory in India for providing the testing service according the applicable Indian standards for LED lamps. You can use the UL test report for the approval process of both programs.