December 8, 2016
The Belgian Federal Public Service (FPS) Public Health and Safety of the Food Chain and Environment released Royal Decree on varnishes and coatings intended to come into contact with foodstuffs on September 25, 2016.
The decree specifies the following:
- Allowed coatings intended for food contact:
- those substances listed on the Annex I to Regulation (EU) No 10/2011 on plastics
- those approved by a Member State
- those approved by the European Food Safety Authority
- those that do not migrate to a detectable amount in the food
- those that are not classified as carcinogenic, mutagenic or toxic to reproduction (CMR), and are not in nanoform
- Global Migration limit: 10 mg per dm2
- Migration of individual substances must comply with specific migration limits or, if unavailable, with a generic specific migration limit of 60 mg/kg.
The decree is effective starting January 1, 2017.