The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) and Danish Environmental Protection Agency (DEPA) have issued a call for the identification of uses, content and migration rates of four phthalates, namely, DEHP, BBP, DBP and DIBP in articles.
ECHA shall consider whether the use of these phthalates in articles poses a risk to human health or the environment that is not adequately controlled. If ECHA considers that the risk is not adequately controlled, it shall prepare an Annex XV dossier, in order to initiate the restriction procedure. The compilation of the Annex XV dossier is carried out as a joint project between ECHA and the Danish CA.
Specific evidence is requested for the following:
- Uses in articles on the EU market, including flooring, cables and plastic building materials
- Phthalate content in articles, including;
- share of plasticized PVC in a certain article,
- total share of plasticizers in the article, including those other than DEHP, BBP, DBP, DIBP,
- the separate share of each of the four plasticizers in the article,
- the frequency or prevalence of these phthalates versus alternatives,
- the content of the four phthalates in non-PVC articles,
- phthalate migration rates from the articles,
- exposure from articles, food and the indoor/outdoor environment; and
- information on alternatives, such as the possible (or lack of) technical or economic difficulties for substitution, and prices of alternative plasticizers.
Information will be used for the preparation of a REACH Annex XV restriction dossier. A background document has been provided.