November 11, 2015
UNITED STATES - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for the safety standard for infant bouncer seats.
Infant bouncer seat is defined under ASTM F2167-15 as “a freestanding product intended to support an occupant in a reclined position to facilitate bouncing by the occupant, with the aid of a caregiver or by other means.”
The CPSC proposes the following changes to the standard:
- Revision of the content of the warnings, markings, and instructions to:
o Add text to the warnings that states to use the restraints “… even if baby is sleeping…”
o Change the text in the warnings to read, “Stop using when baby starts trying to sit up”
o Change the developmental guidance in the instructions, if stated, to read, “from birth (or “0”) until baby starts trying to sit up” provide that tip over shall consist of the product moving past equilibrium and begin to overturn
- Revision of Section 6.8 (Stability Test Method) to include a test method for sideways stability testing, as well as rear-ward stability testing
- Addition of Section 6.8.1 to provide the requirements for the test equipment and preparation, and specify the test surface area, test cylinders, and measurement of product seating surface height
- Provision to require that the fall hazard label be located on the front surface of the bouncer adjacent to the area where the child's head would rest, and modify the current visibility test to reflect this requirement
- Specification of a standard format (including black text on a white background, table design, bullet points, and black border) for the warnings on the product and in the instructions
The notice of proposed rulemaking is open for public consultation until January 4, 2016.
The proposed rulemaking is in accordance with the Danny Keysar Child Product Safety Notification Act, section 104 of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA), that requires the CPSC to promulgate consumer product safety standards for durable infant or toddler products.