EUROPEAN UNION - The European Committee for Standardization (CEN) has published the latest standard for the safety of toys, entitled EN 71-5:2015 Safety of toys - Part 5: Chemical toys (sets) other than experimental sets.
This section of the EN 71 standard provides requirements and test methods for the substances and mixtures used in chemical toys (sets) other than experimental sets. The substances and mixtures identified in this standard are:
- Those classified as dangerous by the EC-legislation applying to dangerous substances and dangerous mixtures
- Substances and mixtures which, in excessive amounts, could harm the health of the children using them and which are not classified as dangerous by the above-mentioned legislation
- Any other chemical substance(s) and mixture(s) delivered with the chemical toy
This section of the EN 71 standard also provides requirements for markings, warnings, safety rules, contents list, instructions for use and first aid information pertaining to toys. This standard is applicable to the following:
- Plaster of Paris (gypsum) molding sets ceramic and vitreous enameling materials supplied in miniature workshop sets
- Oven-hardening plasticized PVC modelling clay sets
- Plastic molding sets
- Embedding sets
- Adhesives, paints, lacquers, varnishes, thinners and cleaning agents (solvents), supplied or recommended in model sets
This standard was published on September 23, 2015 and will be implemented on March 31, 2016.