September 15, 2015
EUROPEAN UNION ̶ Draft European Standard prEN 14988 has been submitted to CEN members for enquiry. The document is prepared by Technical Committee CEN/TC 364 "Project Committee – High Chairs" and will supercede EN 14988-1:2006+A1:2012 and EN 14988-2:2006+A1:2012.
This European Standard specifies safety requirements for free standing children’s high chairs that elevate a child to standard dining table height usually for the purposes of feeding or eating. Children's high chairs are for children up to 3 years of age, capable of sitting unaided.
This draft standard contains the following modifications in comparison to the previous versions:
- EN 14988-1:2006+A1:2012 and EN 14988-2:2006+A1:2012 have been merged in one single part;
- Complete review of the standard in a hazard base format;
- Modifications necessary to comply with European Decision 2013/121/EU;
- Addition of a dynamic strength test;
- Inclusion of specific requirements for high chair with more than two castors/wheels;
- Improvement of restraint system requirements to require a passive crotch restraint for products with a horizontal component in front of the baby;
- General improvements to many requirements and test methods.
Comment period is open to September 23, 2015.