December 17, 2015
CANADA - Newly appointed Prime Minister of Canada Justin Trudeau has assigned Health Minister Dr. Jane Philpott as the head of the developing committee for the regulations with the intent to improve food labeling in the country. The letter, sent by Trudeau, identifies several points on food and food labeling and indicates the regulations must be similar to regulations in the United States:
- Reduce the amount of salt found in processed foods and eliminate trans fats.
- New restrictions on the commercial marketing of unhealthy food and beverages to children, similar to those now in place in Quebec
- Regulations banning commercials that promote unhealthy foods and beverages to children
- Continue working on food label reforms initiated by the Conservatives, with Trudeau asking for more information on added sugars and artificial dyes on labels
- Introduction of draft versions of revamped food labels to make the labels easier to read and standardize serving sizes
- Attention will also be given to Health Canada’s controversial Nutrition North program
The Prime Minister’s letter is dated November 13, 2015.