October 10, 2019
ASTM International has recently published an update to the voluntary furniture stability standard ASTM F2057-19, Standard Safety Specification for Clothing Storage Units, incorporating two new warning labels and expanding the scope of the standard to cover clothing storage furniture 27 inches and taller.
Consumers want to make informed choices when they select furnishings for their family. The recent stability standard update makes it more important than ever for compliant manufacturers to differentiate their products in the marketplace.
That is what UL’s Stability Verified Program, endorsed by the American Home Furnishings Alliance (AHFA), does. Companies now have the opportunity to verify product stability with UL marks to build consumer trust and claim an important competitive advantage in the marketplace.
Backed by science, a Product Stability Verified Mark provides:
- Objective, scientific assessments that confirm your product stability
- A unique identifier that allows consumers to easily find details about your product claims
- Trust that your product’s claims will live up to their promise.
There are three steps manufacturers must follow to obtain the UL Product Stability Verified Mark:
- Testing process: annual UL review and verification of company’s testing capabilities
- Test data review: UL review and approval of test data from company’s verified test site and authorization for the company to use the Product Stability Verified Mark
- Surveillance: annual manufacturer site inspection and product review.
There are more and more companies proudly marketing their products as Product Stability Verified. The full list is available on verify.UL.com.