UL Renewables: Due diligence
Construction monitoring and management
During the construction and commissioning phases of a renewable energy project, we provide construction management and monitoring services to help ensure that project milestones are completed, the work conforms to the project design, quality controls are being met and potential delays or cost overruns are identified.
On-site visits to the project occur either on a monthly or milestone basis during the construction phase of the project. On-site reviews typically consist of:
- Review of the final design for general compliance with contracts
- Review of the progress of the design for compliance with the scheduled milestones
- Review of proposed work plans and quality-control procedures
- Observation of work in progress to determine whether the project is proceeding in accordance with the milestone schedule and design
- Consultations with the owner and contractor in advance of major inspections or important work phases
- Creation of progress reports including budget and schedule variances and photos
During the project start-up and testing phases, we provide independent assessments of performance guarantee satisfaction, initial operations and completion of construction contracts. Services typically include:
- Review of test procedures to confirm compliance
- Monitor of data collection procedures
- Review of Loan Requisition Certificate and supporting documentation
- Preparation of the Engineering Certificate for customers and lenders
- Observation of performance testing
- Review of test reports from the contractor and/or owner
- Preparation of final report/letter verifying the attainment of performance guarantees from contracts
We monitor the successful completion of each item with a final on-site visit to verify that all items have been completed.
Full-time on-site monitoring is provided by our staff lender’s engineer whose primary role is to monitor the engineering, procurement and construction during a project’s construction period. The on-site lender’s engineer interfaces with all of the project construction stakeholders to provide feedback to the lender regarding construction conformance to the project design and schedule, reviews of work plans and quality-control procedures, and consultations in advance of inspections and major work phases.