Water Filter Certification
Testing, evaluation and certification to NSF/ANSI water filter standards
UL Solutions’ filter and membrane testing and certification programs demonstrate that products perform as expected, are safe for use as directed, and meet industry standards. Certifications to NSF/ANSI water treatment device standards for drinking water are required by many retailers, and in some cases, by model plumbing codes or state regulations. These include but are not limited to:
- NSF/ANSI 42 evaluates filters designed to reduce aesthetic contaminants from potable water (chlorine, particulate, etc.)
- NSF/ANSI 53 evaluates filters designed to reduce health-related contaminants from potable water (lead, arsenic, cysts, etc.)
- NSF P231 evaluates purifiers intended to reduce bacteria, viruses and cysts from water of unknown microbiological quality and is based upon U.S. EPA guidance
- NSF/ANSI 58 evaluates point-of-use reverse osmosis systems designed to reduce contaminants in public or private drinking water
- NSF/ANSI 61 evaluates point-of-entry and municipal filtration products for safety of materials that contact drinking water
- NSF/ANSI 419 evaluates public drinking water treatment filtration equipment that reduce Cryptosporidium
UL Solutions can also help facilitate state registration of your water treatment device, when required.
Understanding the scope of UL Solutions' water filtration test evaluations
- Safety of materials – Water contact materials are evaluated to help ensure they do not leach harmful contaminants into water.
- Structural integrity – Plumbed-in products are evaluated to help ensure their parts don’t crack or burst under pressure.
- Performance – Products are tested to help ensure they can reduce claimed contaminants.
- Product literature – Manuals, performance data sheets, packaging and data plates are evaluated to help make sure product claims match test data and include relevant information.
- Continued compliance – Annual inspections of your products confirm continued compliance with standards.
Why UL Solutions for water filtration products testing and certification
- Receive direct access to our technically knowledgeable staff.
- Industry competitive pricing and fast turnaround times.
- The UL Mark has a proven positive impact on the consumer purchasing decision.
- Evaluate your products for additional aspects of product safety, such as electrical compliance, all with one certifier.