February 3, 2022
Updated on Dec. 21, 2022 and Mar. 28, 2022
During September 2020, the Italian Legislative Decree 116/2020 amended article 219(5) of the Environmental Regulations of Italy (Legislative Decree 152/2006).
The amendment introduced mandatory environmental labelling on packaging in Italy for B2C and B2B packaging. The decree reads as follows:
"All packaging must be appropriately labeled in accordance with the procedures established by the applicable UNI technical standards and in compliance with the decisions adopted by the European union to facilitate the collection, reuse, recovery and recycling of packaging, and to provide correct information to consumers on the final destination of packaging. For the purposes of identifying and classifying packaging, producers are also obliged to indicate the nature of the packaging materials used, based on Commission Decision 97/129/EC."
On Feb 28, 2022, Law 15/2022 (conversion into law, with amendments, of the decree-law 228/2021) postponed the application of the environmental labeling to January 1, 2023.
Packaging that does not have environmental labelling and has already been sold or otherwise labelled as of January 1, 2023, may still be sold while stocks last.
The Ministry of Ecological Transition made available on its website on November 22, 2022 the official ministerial guidelines for the application of this legislation (dated July 27, 2022).
How UL can help
UL can support you in the application of the environmental labelling of packaging and offers a portfolio with a wide range of services such as:
- A research report detailing the requirements of this Italian regulation.
- Technical evaluation of the one or more packaging/packaging component(s) providing our proposed mandatory environmental labeling.
We offer solutions help you differentiate your product from competitors, including:
- ISTA packaging test
- Amazon APASS and ISTA 6 Testing
- Medical devices packaging testing
- Packaging validation and stability studies for device transport and storage
- Chemical and microbiological analysis according to global requirements
- Environmental Claim Validation Program
- UL ECOLOGO certification
- Turbo CarbonTM, a carbon emissions software to provide carbon footprint reporting on packaging
Labelling for packaging - Guidelines according to Art. 219 paragraph 5 of Legislative Decree 152/2006 and subsequent modifications and integrations 27/07/2022