Predictive Modeling for Flame Tests on Communications Cables
As a global safety science leader, UL Solutions is recognized around the world for our expertise with fire safety and certification services. We provide large- and small-scale flammability testing for certification to national, international, regional and industry standards and requirements for plenum (CMP) and riser (CMR) communications cables.
Our proprietary predictive modeling for flame testing is an effective tool to predict the large-scale flame test performance of communications cables based on small-scale cone calorimeter testing. A cone calorimeter can analyze short lengths of cable to inform a model for determining how readily materials in longer cables may ignite and how much smoke they may generate. Modeling tests can also determine fire characteristics such as ignition times, weight loss, heat and smoke release rates and heat of combustion.
The UL Solutions modeling for flame testing provides a cost-effective means of predicting real-world fire risks with a high degree of confidence and accuracy, especially during the research and development process. Such testing may be applied to both copper and fiber-optic communication cables:
- Plenum predictive model — to predict plenum flame test compliance of cables to NFPA 262, the Standard Method of Test for Flame Travel and Smoke of Wires and Cables for Use in Air-Handling Spaces.
- Riser predictive model — to predict riser flame test compliance of cables to UL 1666, the Standard for Test for Flame Propagation Height of Electrical and Optical-Fiber Cables Installed Vertically in Shafts.
Using the results from our proprietary cone calorimeter tests, the innovative models can save time and costs associated with large-scale flame testing and serve as an excellent tool to meet the needs of various stakeholders.
- Initial qualification of prototype constructions
- New materials development
- Materials selection and substitution
- Product quality assurance
- Less material/cable needed for testing
- Research testing on potential constructions being designed for certification
Cable distributors and installers
- Simple means to check product compliance with safety standards
- Identification of counterfeit products
- New supplier qualifications
- Private label program development
- Post-installation investigations using minimal amounts of cable
Why UL Solutions?
UL Solutions has been an innovator in technologies underlying safety certification and compliance for over 125 years. Leveraging our technical know-how, our experts sit on more than 600 international and regional regulatory committees and work collaboratively with industry leaders on a wide range of standards development activities. This legacy of innovation and collaboration makes us a trusted expert in the compliance arena. Stakeholders rely on us for knowledge and technical expertise to address existing and emerging safety issues in the rapidly-changing technology environment.
Our global testing and certification services are accepted in Asia, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and North America for more than 70 wire and cable product categories. At UL Solutions, we continue to evolve our capabilities and invest in our technology assets to help you rapidly develop and launch safer, superior products to meet the requirements of a changing world.