Investigating potential harmful hazards is a fundamental part of building consumer trust and protecting brand reputation. With that said, new strategies and protective circuitry will be required for safe operation as e-bike technology evolves.
In order to help confirm the safety of e-bikes and electrically power-assisted cycles (EPACs), we involved industry leaders in the development of next-generation, e-bike safety requirements for UL 2849, the Standard for Electric Bicycles, Electrically Power Assisted Cycles (EPACs), Electric Scooters and Electric Motorcycles. This Standard offers electrical and fire safety certification by examining the electrical drive train system, battery system and charger system combinations.
UL 2849 covers:
- E-bikes (typically sit-to-operate and over-the-road use), pedelec (pedal assisted electric) cycles, e-motorbikes and e-scooters.
- The risk of electric shock during charging over the life of the product and other potential electrocution hazards.
The Standard does not evaluate for the operator’s ability to maintain control while riding.
We support the following standards for e-bikes within the European market:
- EN 15194
- EN 50604-1 for light ev batteries and/or EN 62133-2 for portable or auxiliary system batteries
- 2014/30/EU for EMC
- 2011/65/EU/ for RoHS
- 2014/53/EU (RED) – If radio technologies are used in the device
- Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC for Product Safety
- Draft ISO 4210-10 for e-bikes to become EN standard in 2020 or 2021
Making sure that your products are in compliance to the appropriate standards can be challenging. Fortunately, we’re here to simplify the process for you. Our familiarity with UL 2849 enables us to easily test and certify your e-bikes in the most seamless and efficient way possible—we did write it after all. By tapping into our technical expertise and testing capabilities, we can offer you the highest levels of regulatory acceptance and market recognition in the industry. More importantly, however, is the fact that we can help you get safer products to market—a critical responsibility of all e-bike manufacturers.
We can serve as your one-stop-shop by offering a comprehensive range of testing services for your e-bikes and EPACs. Our team of experts will help you achieve the electrical and fire safety certification you need to meet the CPSC’s standards for safety, enabling you to sell your products in the global marketplace. Plus, our familiarity with the Standard allows us to cut your costs and accelerate your time to market. That’s how we’ll help you achieve what’s possible and that’s what makes us different.