Your organization’s progress along your sustainability journey must be measurable but also meaningful. This progress relies on getting reliable carbon reporting on Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions. While Scope 1 and 2 are easy to attain, Scope 3 requires you to educate your supply chain network, provide a reporting infrastructure and communicate consistently with your partners.
Once your supply chain understands their impact on your Scope 3 targets, your organization must take this opportunity to work with vendors to reduce emissions. These efforts start with setting up robust data processes which, when combined with making improvements and communicating those positive results, help sustain this work, drive results and improve outcomes.
Tips for robust data processes for Scope 3 emissions
These actionable ideas help focus your efforts on managing and maximizing data received from your supply chain.
- Focus on the practical – When setting up your Scope 3 reporting methodology, focus on collecting real-world, operational data that can be obtained reliably and consistently.
- Have a backup plan – What happens when some supply-chain data sources can’t be obtained or are no longer available? Proactive consideration of what data contingencies exist, such as from alternate sources, will help prevent delays in your reporting.
- Set thoughtful benchmarks – When you establish Scope 3 targets with supply-chain partners demand progress but be realistic about what the vendor can reasonably achieve.
- Pace yourself – We all need to make changes in the global fight against climate change. That means reviewing data periodically to check progress while remaining open to making changes over time.
- Be consistent – While it’s important to stay nimble when it comes to your goals, what should remain consistent are your reporting methodologies to foster year-over-year analysis.
Future-proof your sustainability trajectory
Your suppliers will change. Regulators may change. Data requirements frequently change. Agility is key for working with your partners to manage and mitigate Scope 3 emissions, and that’s easier to attain when your organization has guidance to shape impactful benchmarks, tools and programs.
Organizations that tackle sustainability all alone will find the journey not only frustrating but difficult to maintain. Seeking out the services of a seasoned sustainability leader completely changes the experience.
UL’s Scope 3 Carbon Advisory and Reporting Services connects organizations with consulting services, as well as award-winning, easy-to-implement software solutions that make sustainability progress more manageable and measurable.
How to Identify Scope 3 Carbon Hotspots
Three strategies to identify, calculate and minimize hidden greenhouse gasses across your enterprise.