Measuring the impact of carbon reduction initiatives
Danske Bank Group is the biggest financial enterprise in Denmark and one of the largest in the Nordic region, offering customers a wide range of services in banking, insurance, real estate and asset management. An established financial services leader, Danske Bank was the first large Danish bank to set a goal of reaching carbon neutrality.
With offices in 15 countries and nearly 22,000 employees, Danske Bank quickly identified airline travel as a significant component of its carbon footprint. In addition to other carbon-reducing activities, Danske Bank invested in TelePresence studios in 16 key locations to reduce the need for employees to fly for internal meetings. Danske Bank selected 360 Sustainability software to help capture the data necessary to build a solid business case to support the investment required to sustain this program.
Danske Bank calculates its overall carbon footprint with 360 Sustainability software by UL Solutions. This information is included in their annual sustainability report as well as their annual submission to the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP).
To help track progress towards their goal of carbon neutrality and support investments in TelePresence, this sustainability data management system is used to:
- Convert each use of the TelePresence suite into the equivalent amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) that would have been produced, calculating for each participant that would have flown for an equivalent face-to-face meeting
- Produce an easy-to-read chart that clearly demonstrates how CO2 from air travel is reduced as the use of TelePresence facilities increases
Key software benefits as reported by Danske
- Comprehensive data collection and analysis showed a tangible return on investment (ROI) and built a solid business case for further investments in TelePresence.
- Graphics added a sense of immediacy to help inspire employees to change their business travel behaviors.
- A single system is used to meet multiple reporting requirements, including CDP and other published sustainability reports.