PCRs are a necessary tool that define the rules and requirements for Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs). PCRs are developed in an open and collaborative manner, much like industry standards. Interested parties and stakeholders may participate in what’s known as an open development process, which allows them to review the draft PCR, ask questions, and share comments electronically. Stakeholders may include material suppliers, manufacturers, trade associations, purchasers, users, consumers, nongovernmental organizations, public agencies, life-cycle assessment practitioners and certification bodies.
UL Environment, a program operator functioning under ISO 14025, maintains all comments and questions received during the development process and then posts PCRs for a public comment period. Then, UL Environment will submit a final version of the PCR to a review panel for approval. Once approved, it is published on UL’s Standards website. PCRs expire every three-to-five years and must be updated to address relevant changes in the industry. However, PCRs are living documents and may be updated within this window, if needed.
If you are interested in working with UL Environment on the creation of PCRs, email us at: [email protected]
UL Environment can certify EPDs using existing PCRs created by any program operator. When no PCR exists for a product group or particular geography, UL Environment will work with stakeholders to create one or address regionally specific requirements for PCRs created for another market.
Below are links to PCRs and geographic-specific addenda created and published by UL Environment:
- Part B: Aluminum and Aluminum Alloy Products (NA Addendum) – 2018-04-06 to 2019-04-06
- Part B: Asphalt Roofing Products – 2019-07-17 to 2024-07-17
- Part B: Building Metals (NA Addendum) – 2014-08-12 to 2016-08-12 (update planned)
- Part B: Building Envelope Thermal Insulation – 2018-04-11 to 2023-04-11
- Part B: Coatings with Organic Binders (NA Addendum) – 2014-07-30 to 2016-07-30 (update planned)
- Part B: Curtain Wall (NA Addendum) – 2015-11-01 to 2016-11-01
- Part B: Engineered Stone (NA Addendum) – 2012-10-22 to 2017-10-22
- Part B: Flooring (North America) – 2018-09-28 to 2023-09-28
- Part B: Insulated Metal Panels, Metal Composite Panels, and Metal Cladding – 2018-10-23 to 2023-10-23
- Part B: Joint Compound (North America) – 2016-08-03 to 2021-08-03
- Part B: Metal Ceilings Addendum (NA Addendum) – 2014-08-29 to 2016-08-29 (update in development)
- Part B: Non-Metal Ceiling Panels – 2015-10-16 to 2020-10-16
- Part B: Paints and Varnishes (NA Addendum) – 2015-10-30 to 2016-10-30
- Part B: Plumbing Vessels – 2018-01-17 to 2023-01-17
- Part B: Processed Glass (North America) – 2016-08-17 to 2021-08-17
- Part B: Technical Textiles (NA Addendum) – 2014-12-16 to 2016-12-16
- Part B: Thin Walled Profiles and Profiled Panels (NA Addendum) – 2014-07-14 to 2016-07-30 (update planned)
- Part B: Sanitary Ceramics – 2018-01-17 to 2023-01-17
- Part B: Sealants (North America) – 2016-09-22 to 2021-09-22
- Part B: Water Cooled Chillers (NA Addendum) – 2018-06-28 to 2023-06-28
- Part B: Wall and Door Protection Products – 2019-5-22 to 2024-5-22
Builders Hardware – 2014-04-23 to 2019-04-23 (update in development)
Cladding Product Systems – 2015-06-18 to 2019-06-18
Commercial Steel Door and Frame PCR – 2015-03-10 to 2020-03-10
Hand Dryers (Global) – 2016-07-13 to 2021-07-13
Piping systems for use for sewage and storm water (under gravity): North American Addendum – 2014-06 to 2016-06 (update planned)
Power Inverter Products – 2017-08 to 2022-08
Printers and Multi-Function Printing Units – 2018-04 to 2023-04
Tires – 2017-11 to 2022-11
Transport Refrigeration Units (North America) – 2017-04 to 2022-04
Wire and Cable (NA Addendum) – 2014-04-01 to 2017-03-31
Wooden Pallets (North America) – 2019-06-19 to 2024-06-19
PCRs in development
Please contact us for more information about UL's PCR development process.
- Builders Hardware
- Metal Ceiling and Wall Products
- Mechanical Insulation
- Wood Products
PCRs in Public Consultation
The public comment period for the following PCRs is now open and the document(s) may be downloaded at the bottom of the page. Public comments must be submitted using the PCR comment template below.
- Part B: Builders Hardware
- Part B: Metal Ceilings and Wall Products
UL Environment has extensive experience developing PCRs and a proven history of working with multiple stakeholders. In addition, UL Environment can verify EPDs by using existing PCRs created by other program operators.
UL is a global leader in the development of PCRs, and our experience working with industries and stakeholders enables us to support you and your EPDs.