Skip to main content
  • Press Release

UL spotlights dangers of alternative heating methods

January 17, 2012


Safety tips designed to help families stay protected from home fire and carbon monoxide poisoning





NORTHBROOK, Ill., Jan 17, 2012 - When the temperature drops and families head indoors to escape the cold, improper use of heating equipment can put homes at risk for fire.  According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), heating equipment fires account for 18% of all reported home (second behind cooking) and 22% of home fire deaths[i]. Specifically, most home heating fire deaths (79%) and injuries (66%) and half (52%) of associated direct property damage involved stationary or portable space heaters[ii].

That's why UL (Underwriters Laboratories) warns it's important to safeguard against potential fire and potential home heating hazards.

"January and February are peak months for home heating fire deaths, says John Drengenberg, UL's consumer safety director. "By taking precautions and making sure you're using indoor heating sources correctly, you can avoid tragedy while staying warm and fire safe."

UL recommends these simple steps to help avoid potential home fires this winter season:



  • Keep flammable materials at least three feet away from indoor heat sources such as space heaters and fireplaces

  • Always shut off space heaters when leaving the room and before going to bed

  • Check your home's smoke alarms and make sure models and batteries are up to date

  • Look for the UL Mark on home heaters to make sure they have been tested to appropriate safety requirements






"By understanding where fire hazards exist, and taking some simple preventative steps to avoid them, people can greatly reduce their risk to fire this winter," said Lorraine Carli, NFPA's vice president of communications.



In addition to home fires, Drengenberg reminds that carbon monoxide (CO) can also be a hazard, especially to toddlers and older adults. CO is a colorless, odorless and poisonous gas that is often associated with faulty furnaces or  alternative methods of winter heating. Dubbed the "silent killer," the gas kills 500 people and sends 15,200 more to the hospital each year.



To help make your home a little bit warmer and safer, UL is urging homeowners to INSPECT for, PROTECT and DETECT against CO hazards and remember the following tips:



  • INSPECT for potential signs of CO leaks such as carbon streak or soot around fuel-burning appliances

  • INSPECT furnace rooms for moisture collecting on windows or wall

  • INSPECT chimneys and fireplaces as well as fuel-burning appliances (furnaces, hot water heaters and stoves) annually with a qualified technician

  • PROTECT your home by purchasing and installing a CO alarm on every level of the home and outside sleeping areas

  • PROTECT the effectiveness of your CO alarms by testing them monthly and replacing batteries once a year

  • DECTECT the source of CO by having a professional inspect and fix the problem after a CO alarm sounds

  • DETECT CO by watching for symptoms of gas poisoning including headaches, dizziness and other flu-like complaints  If you experience those symptoms,  evacuate the house, call the fire department and seek medical attention





[i] "Home Fires Involving Heating Equipment."  National Fire Protection Association.  Last accessed January 12, 2012.



[ii] IBID