The European Commission (EC) has adopted Commission Decision (EU) 2016/1349, Establishing the Ecological Criteria for the Award of the EU Ecolabel for Footwear.
A revision of the 2009 version, the updated ecological criteria covers the following:
- Promotion of products that:
- Have a lower environmental impact;
- Have sustainable development along their life cycle;
- Are durable; and
- Restrict the presence of hazardous substances
- Introduction of requirements for labor conditions at the final assembly site
The Commission Decision was adopted on August 9, 2016, and the revised ecological criteria will be valid for six years.