EUROPEAN UNION - The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) has opened a public consultation for the draft recommendation to include the following 11 substances to REACH Annex XIV:
- HHPA and MHHPA, which are used as hardeners in epoxy resins
- Two boron compounds used in detergents and bleaches, namely:
○ sodium perborate
○ perboric acid, sodium salt and sodium peroxometaborate
- Four lead compounds:
○ orange lead (lead tetroxide)
○ lead monoxide (lead oxide)
○ tetralead trioxide sulphate
○ pentalead tetraoxide sulphate, which is used to make batteries and rubber
- Trixylyl phosphate, which is used in lubricants, hydraulic fluids and plastics production
- Two plasticisers used in PVC, namely:
○ dihexyl phthalate
○ 1,2-benzenedicarboxylic acid, dihexyl ester, branched and linear
The agency is specifically seeking information on whether these substances should be a priority for authorization, their uses, possible exemptions and the proposed application and phase-out deadlines.
Consultation is open until February 18, 2016.