UL's Solutions for Food Contact Materials
The importance of food contact testing for retailers, private labels and manufacturers
Access to safe food has always taken a place of paramount importance for consumers all over the world.
Food contact materials (FCMs) include kitchen utensils, coffee machines, household items and packaging. These products qualify as high-risk because of their prolonged exposure to food during different phases, from production to handling and storage. They can represent a potential source of contamination if chemicals migrate from the material into the food and can pose a health risk.
Retailers, private labels and manufacturers must have confidence that their FCMs are free from harmful chemicals, compliant with global regulations for the specific destination markets and that they maintain high quality throughout their life under extreme conditions, such as microwave radiation, washing and heat. This path can prove challenging, but UL Solutions’ experts are here to support you.
Furthermore, new materials are emerging as an alternative to plastics, and they may require a specific risk assessment as the legislative landscape is very fragmented. UL Solutions’ experts can help you navigate this process.
UL Solutions simplifies market access across regional and international food contact materials regulations
With extensive experience throughout the food contact materials industry, UL Solutions offers a comprehensive portfolio of solutions to retailers, private labels and manufacturers who need to verify safety, quality and compliance requirements. UL Solutions also supports the launch of innovative and quality articles that comply with target markets to protect your final consumers.
Different countries have adopted compliance requirements and specific regulations for the safe use of FCMs, such as:
- European Regulation 1935/2004/EC
- COMMISSION REGULATION (EU) No. 10/2011 as amended
- European National Member States legislations
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) - Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations
- Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) regulation or GRAS notice
- Chinese Product Standards GB4806 for different materials and GB 9685-2016 National Food Safety Standard: Standard for the Use of Additives in Food Contact Materials and Articles
- Japanese Food Sanitation Act
- Japan's FCM positive list system
Why UL Solutions for food contact materials testing and services?
UL Solutions has a global regulatory research team to provide real-time updates on international, national and regional legislations and to offer support for protocol and test plan programs, as well as labeling assessments for global markets. Staying on top of the latest global regulatory updates can help you increase your speed to market while you work to ensure the safety and quality of your FCM products.
UL Solutions can also help you with:
- Obtaining, checking and drafting all the necessary documentation to obtain your Food Grade Declaration for raw materials or finished products, which you need to demonstrate that the article is suitable for contact with food
- Training and education for retailers, private labels, manufacturers and their global supply chains