With our original equipment manufacturers (OEM) approvals in the automotive industry backed by technical expertise, we can help you with your unique needs. We support you along the entire product development and automotive supply chain, from the planning and design phase, to material selection and the final Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), for an optimized time to market.
Getting you there safely, with UL's automotive solutions
Whether car manufacturer or component supplier, UL’s various OEM approvals and experience in the automotive industry make us your ideal partner.
UL supports you along the entire product development and automotive supply chain, from the planning and design phase, to material selection up to the final Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) for an optimized time to market.
Our solutions for the automotive industry include:
- Preparation and production of samples for testing
- Prediction of environmental performance via artificial weathering, thermal aging and ozone stress testing
- Automotive testing in the areas of rheology, mechanics, fire, media resistance and surface performance
- Development, execution and management of test programs according to global and local standards, regulations and OEM requirements, e.g.:
- As part of the Daimler Web 2020 program
- Volkswagen Regulation VW 52000
- BMW Group Standard GS 93016
Automotive environmental influences
Interior and exterior automotive components are exposed to various environmental influences throughout their entire life cycle: from temperature fluctuations to UV weathering and moisture.
Automotive VOC emission
Automotive suppliers need to validate the compliance of their components to certain OEM specifications for emission behavior prior to their use in the vehicle interior.
Automotive mechanical testing
UL is a well-known specialist for all kinds of mechanical tests, especially on polymers.
Automotive surface testing
UL offers a wide range of destructive and non-destructive surface tests of standard test specimens as well as of components. The investigation of all relevant chemical and physical parameters of materials and their surfaces and coatings are at the center of attention.
Automotive textile testing
Many physical test methods are also applicable for textiles. UL offers textile testing according to the automotive testing standards for initial inspection and quality assurance.
Some of the benefits of working with our team of experts can include:
- Optimizing your development process: With our service portfolio you have access to a single source for compounding trials, test specimen production via injection molding, as well as testing and certification of thermoplastics, thermosets, elastomers and composites. Technical consulting complements our one-stop service.
- Reducing your costs: Thanks to our accredited, independent testing centers, manufacturers are able to reduce their own costs, as they do not need their own laboratory.
- Receiving independent and reliable test results: We verify material and product performance of various automotive components made of plastics according to international standards — ISO, ASTM, VDA, UL, etc. — as well as client’s delivery specifications.
- Accelerating your time to market: Experience quick turnaround times as per our highly automated modern equipment and the technical knowledge of our subject matter experts.