UL recently opened our substantial hazardous locations laboratory expansion and renovation in Northbrook, IL with a ribbon-cutting ceremony. Milan Dotlich, vice president, Europe and the Americas, Energy & Power Technologies division, looked on as Jeff Smidt, vice president and general manager, Energy & Power Technologies division, and Steve Hewson, senior vice president of laboratory operations, Connected Technologies business unit, officially opened the laboratory.
To help facilitate quicker turnaround time on projects for customers, our lab has been designed with automation implemented. We have upgraded and added capabilities to five new test stations that make this a truly state-of-the-art lab. This will enable us to streamline testing processes that will help our customers get to market faster.
1. Explosions Area: Has six test points; four can be operated simultaneously. This area also has new automated test vessels that can handle samples up to 80 cubic feet (larger samples can also be accommodated by our previous test method).
2. Vertical Test Stations: Electrical testing has incorporated new automated Vertical Test Stations to simplify testing and to reduce downtime. Our load bank can simulate loads up to 4500W.
3. Spark Test Station: The new state-of-the-art automated Spark Test Station performs spark ignition/intrinsic safety testing. It can adjust all aspects of testing with ease including gas pressure, spark-on-time and gas flow rates to assist with research and circuit design.
4. IP Dust Testing: Our automated IP Dust Testing now has three test points that can run simultaneously. The size of the large chamber can accommodate larger samples up to five cubic meters.
5. Walk-in Climatic Chambers: Nine chambers total; three Walk-in Climatic Chambers perform thermal endurance testing to heat and cold conditioning. Three of the chambers are equipped with full-length doors giving us the ability to test larger sized equipment.
To get a sneak peek of our state-of-the-art lab, watch this video.
For more information or to request a quote to speed your time to market, contact us today.