August 1, 2022
by Lily Hou, Ph.D., CHMM, senior regulatory specialist, UL Solutions Supply Chain team
In June 2022, Shanghai International Port Group (SIPG) published a notice that specifies the interim operational requirements in order to strengthen the safety management of hazardous chemical containers at Shanghai Port and further improve the safety of the port operations. The requirements apply to containers of imported hazardous chemicals listed on the Catalog of Hazardous Chemicals (2015) but are not subject to the International Maritime Dangerous Goods (IMDG) Code.
The Notice provides a sample of the Dangerous Goods Declaration Form, including the following mandatory information that should be supplied on the form:
- Ship and port information – shipper, ship's name and voyage number, port of loading, and port of destination.
- Cargo information – proper shipping name, UN number, CAS number, hazard class, packing group and quantity.
- Form of transport – packaged, bulk, intermedia bulk, or tank.
- Port operation type – loading/unloading, lighterage, or storage.
- Relevant documents and container number.
- Safety precautions.
Starting on July 1, 2022, consignees and their appointed agents must submit the Identification and Classification Report for Hazardous Chemicals issued by a qualified third-party institution by email and the filled Dangerous Goods Declaration Form 24 hours prior to arrival.
The operation terminal will synthesize relevant information, classify the specific cargo into the category of dangerous goods with the most similar hazard properties, take corresponding safety precautions, provide corresponding port operations and stockpiling services, and bill the service fee according to the standards of the corresponding category.
Recommended action items
- Review your company’s products that are imported into China and handled in Shanghai port, and determine if the declaration requirements apply to the products.
- For products regulated under the Notice, contact a qualified test institution in China to obtain the Identification and Classification Report for Hazardous Chemicals.
The Shanghai Port Notice on Further Strengthening the Safety Management for Hazardous Chemicals Containers (关于进一步加强上海港危化品集装箱安全管理的通知)
Safety Data Sheet (SDS) Authoring and Labeling Services
Create, maintain and distribute comprehensive SDSs and labels to meet your increasingly complex global compliance requirements.
Chemical Regulatory Compliance
Manage your chemical compliance needs with the help of global regulatory expertise and leading resources.
Chemical Compliance Training
We provide a series of chemical regulatory training programs designed to help understand the diverse set of requirements and how to confront them.