March 14, 2023
As sustainability solutions and the effect of lighting on plant growth increase in importance, horticultural lighting for agricultural and floricultural production continues to gain momentum in the global market. To this effect, on March 14, 2023, the scope of UL 8800, the Standard for Horticultural Lighting Equipment and Systems was expanded. These changes or clarifications cover testing requirements for:
- Indoor wet environment rating for luminaires
- Horticultural systems with integrated refrigeration features
- Photobiological safety markings update
- Remotely located Low Voltage/Class 2 power supply units
Additionally, the changes include revisions to electrical construction requirements to allow attachment plugs, mating receptacles and connectors that comply with UL 2238, the Standard for Cable Assemblies and Fittings for Industrial Control and Signal Distribution or CSA C22.2 No. 182.3
The following safety requirements from the original scope of UL 8800 remain unchanged:
- Photobiological effects — addresses potential human eye and skin exposure safety.
- Wiring/connection methods — allows for specialized wiring and connection methods that support the required positioning flexibility to optimize plant growth.
- Environmental considerations — evaluates suitability in damp and/or wet environments and elevated ambient temperatures.
- Ingress protection — classifies and rates the product’s degree of protection against infiltration from dust, moisture and water.
- UV exposure of polymeric materials — evaluates how polymeric materials react when exposed to ultraviolet light (UV) from the sun or the light source within the luminaire.
- Conformal Coating — Supplement SA addresses the coatings serving an electrical and/or fire enclosure function for LED arrays.
Download the latest addendum of UL 8800 for details on the normative references and specific information about the scope and testing requirements for horticultural luminaires and systems, or contact us to discuss your horticultural lighting needs.
Horticultural Lighting Testing and Certification
Understand the options for safety and performance testing and certification of your horticultural and floricultural lighting equipment and systems.
Get connected with our sales team
Thanks for your interest in our products and services. Let's collect some information so we can connect you with the right person.